Sign in to follow this  
greegs

supermarket fuel

Put about £15 worth of unleaded in yesterday at my local tesco. Jumped in car to nip along to shop tonight and it would not start, turning over fine etc but would not fire. This has happened twice now and I am convinced it is down to supermarket fuel. How I solve this is by resetting ecu i.e disconnect battery for about 10 - 15 mins then reconnect and it starts first time.

Have tried running car on optimax for about a month and noticed no difference mpg,performance wise whatsoever apart from the extra cost although it did start all the time on optimax.

Anybody else had the similar problems ?

Yep, everone moans about Tesco fuel, Its awful for older cars...

I think its the 'cleaning' additives they break it down with play havoc with some engines, I put one tank in a 1.6 carb Golf and it didn't accellerate properly for a week, put your foot down and nothing! Even worse with our 1.05 runabout polo, kept cutting out at juctions on it, I never go near Tesco's with the C but I have found sainsburys / Morrisons / Asda to be ok.

i think ive only ONCE in nearly 3 years of C ownership filled up/used supermarket fuel.........too many scare stories put me off......and also the fact the Shell filling station is under a mile away from me......whereas the nearest supermarket fuel is 2-3miles away so any saving would more than likely be minimal due to the extra miles to fill up :wink:

think ive only ONCE in nearly 3 years of C ownership filled up/used supermarket fuel.........too many scare stories put me off......and also the fact the Shell filling station is under a mile away from me......whereas the nearest supermarket fuel is 2-3miles away so any saving would more than likely be minimal due to the extra miles to fill up

Come on Roddy, we know theres not really any supermarkets in Scotland :wink:

think ive only ONCE in nearly 3 years of C ownership filled up/used supermarket fuel.........too many scare stories put me off......and also the fact the Shell filling station is under a mile away from me......whereas the nearest supermarket fuel is 2-3miles away so any saving would more than likely be minimal due to the extra miles to fill up

Come on Roddy, we know theres not really any supermarkets in Scotland :wink:

LOL funnily enough the supermarket i filled up at was in Leicester! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL funnily enough the supermarket i filled up at was in Leicester!

Hehe - All that way for a 6 pack of IRN-BRU... you Scots, I dunno :lol:

LOL funnily enough the supermarket i filled up at was in Leicester!

Hehe - All that way for a 6 pack of IRN-BRU... you Scots, I dunno :lol:

na mate.....its cos i heard their fuel price was £0.00000000000000000001p less than my local filling station was :wink:

na mate.....its cos i heard their fuel price was £0.00000000000000000001p less than my local filling station was

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOMCL

(Fell off my chair laughing!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends where the fuel comes from in the first place,

find your nearest refinary and thats where it comes from,so Scotland most of it comes via BP Grangemouth

we are using LRP @79.9 to give the old girl a break from the non pinking unleaded,it is a bit more perky right enough

C

i've never had a problem with tesco fuel. used to run the Golf on it.never caused me any problems. i DID get running problems, but that was down to lil gremlins associated with MKI golfs :lol:

I filled up with Tesco unleaded last night for the first time in ages and I thought the car wasn't accelerating as well as usual this morning. Never noticed a problem before though....