Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Petrol in a diesel

Not Corrado related but thought I few of you might know.. Why is it so bad to put petrol into a diesel car.

A mate a work did this morning. Filled the tank with petrol so its about 2/3 diesel and 1/3 petrol. Can he get away with this or does the tank need draining?

Can sort of remember something about diesel lubricating the bores so putting petrol in could make it seize, and that diesel needs heat and compression where as petrol needs a spark to ignite.

Thanks.

He'll probably get away with it. Depends on the car really. Could be down on power a bit but should run ok.

not to sure really..if it doesnt ignite it could cause problems,i would drain most of it out then fill it back up with diesel

Petrol in a diesel WILL harm the engine and the car will not get very far!!

Don't start it or there will be much more work involved in fixing it!

It happened in one of our work cars last week and becasue the guy hadn't started it all that was needed was the tank to be drained and a new filter (Vauxhall still charged over £200 for this and this included £20 to 'dispose' of the petrol! - yeah right!)

The last time it happened tho the car was driven and it made it about 10 miles before stopping and never restarted, this also needed new fule pumps and injectors, the cost was around £500

It happened in one of our work cars last week and becasue the guy hadn't started it all that was needed was the tank to be drained and a new filter (Vauxhall still charged over £200 for this and this included £20 to 'dispose' of the petrol! - yeah right!)

The last time it happened tho the car was driven and it made it about 10 miles before stopping and never restarted, this also needed new fule pumps and injectors, the cost was around £500

That's if it's full of petrol. 2/3 to 1/3 should be ok I've seen it done before, no problems...

Thanks for the advice. We syphoned most of the diesel/petrol mix out at lunchtime and filled it with diesel so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Lucky he did it that way, and not the other way around.... VERY nasty. (My poor ol' Grandad did that once, although was pretty funny watching him get mashed whilst huffing fumes)

:)

That's if it's full of petrol. 2/3 to 1/3 should be ok I've seen it done before, no problems...

The guys use a pump to take it out,then let it sit and it will seperate and then some diesel for you and some petrol for me :wink:

Chubbz