Mystic Blue VR

First pics of Storm

Had camera this time! Two quick shots of the arches & bottom of wings & as can be seen in the pictures they've come up really well & should last for many years to come.

Prep should be finished this week & some paint applied next week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81335[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81336[/ATTACH]

Really nice car mate - I have one the exact same as yours just mines little rusty in places. Will be looking forward to this build thread keep a close eye on it

Haha, good man! :thumbleft:

Is there much repairing to do to the metalwork?

Not really I'm pleased to say. It's only once it's down to bate metal the true extent of any rust can be assessed & there's really nothing that concerns me. Certainly no welding required. The body shop man is pleasantly surprised! The previous owner, Steve (Furno) on here did a good job of preserving the car with good old fashioned Waxoyl!

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Really nice car mate - I have one the exact same as yours just mines little rusty in places. Will be looking forward to this build thread keep a close eye on it

Thanks! Good luck with yours. :thumbleft:

Popped into the body shop today to see progress.

N/S wing realigned. Panel gaps spot on now. Bare metal now in primer & rest of car prepped for paint. In case anyone is wondering, yes the door handles have been removed, just not disconnected from wiring. Also having the petrol filler flap removed & fuel tank neck to address that area too. Rear windows now not being removed as can't get anyone local that fancies doing it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81345[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81346[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81347[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81348[/ATTACH]

Popped into body shop this morning & the car was in the paint booth. New paint! :dance: It looks superb.

Bonnet, both bumpers, number plate light surround, front grill & wing mirrors to do next. Full polish & reassembly next week & pick up the following week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81367[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]81368[/ATTACH]

While the car is stripped down I'll be replacing the passenger door glass as it has a large scratch on it & one of the fog lights due to a cracked lens.

Inevitably, (for me!) the job has grown arms & legs but the end result is going to be very nice.

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

How much is a respray?

The total will come to about £1,500 & for that the the whole car except the roof & tailgate have been painted. He's (KD Burns at Prudhoe, Northumberland) done an excellent job & removed all the trim, taken the wings, bonnet & sills down to bare metal, realigned a wing & not cut any corners. Also, when I kept adding to the job it was no problem for him. When I was in the other day the finish, before polishing was excellent. The end result is going to very good indeed. :cheers:

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Been to the body shop today & assessed the trim that will be put back on the car. I've decided to replace both front indicators, tbh they're not too shabby but I want it looking fresh. Also, new side indicators & out of sheer curiosity popped into the local VW dealer, Carrs of Hexham, & spoke to my favourite parts man Carl to see if the rubber gasket for mounting the door mirrors was still available. Success! I got the last two in the UK. :smug:

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Well here's the difference between new & old indicators. I thought the old one's were OK until compared with the new one!

Off to collect the mirror gaskets & call into the body shop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81389[/ATTACH]