sankysvr6

Gear Selector

Can somebody tell if there is meant to be this much movement in the gear selector.

It's the nut and bolt at the bottom, that seems to a lot movement init.

01985406-72CD-4CB9-AD3F-1E3AA6D8D588_zps6s6xogor.jpg

does look sloppy ..cant recall if theres a bush you can replace there ? possibly some chance you fit a slim washer between the tower and bracket to help a bit

best thing you can ever do is sling that and fit the o2j stuff off a mk4 era vw

Am sure mine wobbles like that, i've spent many an hour under the bonnet just wiggling things in the hope it will cure a problem.

best thing you can ever do is sling that and fit the o2j stuff off a mk4 era vw

Do you happen to know how much work is involved in fitting the O2J stuff?

I'm having difficulty getting into first gear sometimes, which makes me think its something like a warn bush somewhere. Or needs some sort of adjustment.

Just don't want to start taking things apart again like last year, and end up not using it again. But I do like tinkering LOL.

Do you happen to know how much work is involved in fitting the O2J stuff?

its all a straight swap if you get the ibiza/polo gearstick housing - say a easy mornings work with basic tools

you need the gearstick and housing , tower , cables and bracket from a o2j car

also then allows you to use the audi tt short shifter or an ebay one

The clutch fork bending can cause issues, i've had it twice now. Changed the gearbox and clutch and didn't notice the bent fork so had to do it all again.

It will go into gear, but with quite a clunk/bang.

Its not clunking or anything to get into gear, its just difficult engaging first at times. So reversing off the drive, I will need to put it into second then first to go forward.

Going to do a gearbox fluid change, so will see how it goes before I start taking things apart.

Just hope its not the forks or anything like that.

thing is those towers werent a very good design when new , they redesigned it a few times in those years , then add 20 years of wear to it it wont be great

I've had a look at fitting the 02J setup, and it seems like there is welding involved. So don't think kind of modification is for me.

Anyway back the to the sloppy selector, I've taken it apart to see what's what and it all looks okay to me. So I've just regressed everything and fitted it all back, tightened the nut a bit more.

This removed all the slackness, but the spring when you push the selector had gone. So slackened it off a bit to get the spring movement back. The slackness has been completely eradicated, so I'm assuming the bolt and nut was just loose.

Will try it out on the road when it's stops raining/snowing and will update with my findings.

yeah no welding at all its a straight swap

i tried for years to improve /sort out mine and it was never any good