2sheds

Gaaaaah, error, please help

Hey, my head gasket went and I decided that it'd be a good time to refresh everything, sadly 1 of the exhaust studs decided to be stubborn and snapped off, to make things worse it did so 4mm into the head.

I tried a stud extractor but the tip snapped off in place, now I feel I'm pretty screwed, any suggestions to remedy or anyone in Surrey available to fix?

Hey, my head gasket went and I decided that it'd be a good time to refresh everything, sadly 1 of the exhaust studs decided to be stubborn and snapped off, to make things worse it did so 4mm into the head.

I tried a stud extractor but the tip snapped off in place, now I feel I'm pretty screwed, any suggestions to remedy or anyone in Surrey available to fix?

could you drill it out & then use a helicoil kit maybe

I would not try to drill it out if a extractor has been snapped off in the stud.

They are hard as nails and a drill bit is unlikely to touch it.

Worse still if you end up drilling down the side of the extractor bit you could, very quickly, end up with a scrap head.

Unless you can get the remains of the stud extractor out i'd take it along to an engineering company.

Edited by marks2

Not sure how to get it out, you could try one of them reverse drill bits with a high speed drill and hope it bites it.

I had a thread strip on my exhaust stud, i had to drill it out and fix it with a timesert, (i still have 4 spare inserts for the job if you need to do that)

20130529_174904.jpg

20130529_180855.jpg

20130529_181825.jpg

20130529_181955.jpg

The real problem is the relative hardness of the stud extractor vs the drill bit + it is very unlikely to have snapped cleanly.

You may be able to grind it out but given the risk i'd be on the phone to engineering companies in the area.

next time stay away from the extractors as theyre much harder to drill and its just made the job worse

id suggest you take it along to some local engineering firms , they will be able to drill it out and fit a insert if required

Can you see the extractor? ie is proud of the head?

If it is you may be able to weld a nut to it and unscrew the eazi out, then at leat you can drill the stud out and retap or helicoil.

We had a similar thing happen at work, we broke a tap off in the centre casting of a railway coach, luckily we managed to weld a nut to what was left of the tap and get it out.. not too bad but then it was a M12 tap so quite big compared to a VR exhaust stud.

I know its all hindsight but top tip, I soak everything in Plusgas a good 24 hrs before attempting to undo stuff, luckily I've never had a bolt snap on me... yet.. ;)

Rog.

it does depent on how it snapped,as said.ive had to sort out loads.

cheap stud extractors tend to be very hard and shatter as they break it is possable to break the majority of them out with a center punch then clean up with a burr cutter.

Mate trust me - for the sake of £40 ring The Thread Doctor. I've just had to drill a stud extractor out of my rear hub and it shagged 7-8 expensive drill bits and took 6 charges of two batteries. After all that I ended up having to grind off the end of the bolt and smashed it through with a chisel and used a nut and bolt!

Thanks for Thread Doc mention, sadly hes away for the weekend so I'm gonna take some time getting stud extractor tip out and then have acquired the use of a pillar drill on Sunday so fingers crossed, in the meantime theres a hell of a lot of other bits to do, I really should take photos lol