unclean

Blown headgasket!

Hey folks,

The headgasket on my VR just blew at the back left (looking into the engine bay from the front of the car). It was spewing coolant out of the side :-(

The engine was running fine when it happened, not even particularly hot (water temps were showing around 80 degrees C). It looks like the oil hasn't mixed and there's no drop in level. I flushed all the coolant and replaced it with G13 last year, but there was quite a lot of a cruft in there, which could point to corrosion in the head causing the gasket failure.

Now, I'm considering my options. The timing chains needed doing anyway, and I'm sure at 145k the valve stem seals in the head needed some attention. I'm half tempted to throw a lower mileage salvage AAA Golf engine in for the next few months/year, then take mine out for a more serious rebuild with shiny bits. However, I was also contemplating a TSR recon head, new headgasket and tackling the chains in situ now. I guess this hinges on the block being undamaged, how likely is this to be the case?

I'm keen to keep expenditure to a minimum for the next few months having just had a lot (LOT) of brake and chassis work carried out, but that also means I'm keen to have the car running for summer even with a stop gap engine.

So, any suggestions on the most economical and quickest way back to a running car?

Cheers, Phil.

I was in a similar situation when my gasket went. Bought a complete engine and used that as i needed the car on the road.

Its now been off the road for a year as that engine developed a noise in the head and i had gearbox problems.

I have ended up building a new engine from mostly new parts so still have original engine and the spare if you need any bits? Am not too far from Cambridge.

I think in the long run a rebuild of original engine would be the best option. I got a good deal on my 2nd hand one had 263 cams in it so used them on the new engine. Otherwise you could probably get a good temp engine for £200ish and you end up with loads of spares if they include ancillaries

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Long term I'd certainly rebuild the original engine, especially when seeing how nicely yours is coming together! I was looking to get 263 cams, recon or ported head and new chains in there under my own steam later in the year. It seems like it could be a false economy to swap a temporary long block in for £200-300, such is the gamble I guess?

I'll get my plan sorted, but might well take you up on that offer of bits Jim!