MZpog

spoiler mechanism cleaned but still not working automatically

Had a few hours spannering due 2 captive nuts spinning and managed to remove and clean out the spoiler mechanism and motor and its now silky smooth.

Made sure the microswitches were parking/working correctly then bolted it back in.

Test drive to see if the automatic function works and alas, still switch only.

I will now swap out the spoiler control unit for one of my other 2 spares and whilst I have no idea if any work, surely I can't have 3 duff.

If the swap out doesn't work I have no idea what it could be. Someone did mention something about a resistor or sommat in the clocks that goes duff and any link to this may be needed/appreciated.

Seen em all, but thanks. Also found the info on the transistor that fails in the 2.0 clocks so that may be the problem.

:thumb right:

Have you metered the wire from the VSS to the spoiler module?

Pin 8 0n the module.

Yes, checked when I had the fuse box out to fit the heated seats.

So does the wire from Pin 8 on the module go the VSS on top of the gearbox, or the wiring loom on the instrument cluster?

Also what colour is the wire on Pin8

The reason I ask is I am myself a bit confused looking at the diagram to where it goes. But hopefully we can work through it.

So does the wire from Pin 8 on the module go the VSS on top of the gearbox, or the wiring loom on the instrument cluster?

Also what colour is the wire on Pin8

The reason I ask is I am myself a bit confused looking at the diagram to where it goes. But hopefully we can work through it.

I think the wire tested was white/blue and I only checked that it had continuity to the multiplug on the top of the fuse box.

My understanding it the VSS goes to the clocks, then out to the multiplug - I may be wrong however.

Okay, this how i think it works according to the diagram.

VSS --> Fusebox G1/11

Fusebox G1/11 -->Fusebox U2/2

Fusebox U2/2 --> Dash loom T28/21

Dash loom T28/27 --> Fusebox U1/11

Fusebox W/1 --> T43?

T43? --> Module

This is how it should trace out, just not sure what T43 is. It's some kind of terminal, I've got cable tracer at home that you could borrow.

Okay, this how i think it works according to the diagram.

VSS --> Fusebox G1/11

Fusebox G1/11 -->Fusebox U2/2

Fusebox U2/2 --> Dash loom T28/21

Dash loom T28/27 --> Fusebox U1/11

Fusebox W/1 --> T43?

T43? --> Module

This is how it should trace out, just not sure what T43 is. It's some kind of terminal, I've got cable tracer at home that you could borrow.

Now I'm lost with T43 too and no mention of it on here http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Speedo works so I assume the problem (if wiring) is somewhere further down the chain.

Cable tracer? I have a few multimeters but is this something else?

Gonna change my spoiler module tonight for one of my spares to see if anything changes.

Yeah try the module, but also trace the wire from the module pin8 to the fusebox W/1.

If you have continuity I guess you have T43 fitted.

Or see if you can find where that wire goes form the module, post a picture of it if you find it.

Cable tracer, you attach one wire to a toner that your looking for. Then wave a wand around the wiring looms to try and follow where it goes, so that you can find the other end.

Yeah try the module, but also trace the wire from the module pin8 to the fusebox W/1.

If you have continuity I guess you have T43 fitted.

Or see if you can find where that wire goes form the module, post a picture of it if you find it.

Cable tracer, you attach one wire to a toner that your looking for. Then wave a wand around the wiring looms to try and follow where it goes, so that you can find the other end.

Will have another go at the pin 8 to W1. I'm sure I tested continuity from pin 8 to multi connector with the blue/white wire connector, not W1.

Cable tracer - I have 2 lol.

Not sure which multi connector you mean

Can you check if you continuity from the module pin8 to VSS on the gear box. Might be quicker and easier to do first.

With everything plugged in as it should be

Not sure which multi connector you mean

Can you check if you continuity from the module pin8 to VSS on the gear box. Might be quicker and easier to do first.

Saves pulling the fuse box out too.

Multi connector at top left of fuse box (when looking from behind) - has 4 x blue connectors plugged in next to each other....like this http://www.3dzubehor.com/B4/9vt12k1x3qwul2c3how.jpg

Edited by MZpog

Can you check if you continuity from the module pin8 to VSS on the gear box

Actually that might not work, as don't know what the circuit is like in the dash board.

So check continuity from

Dash loom T28/27 --> to the module.

If you don't want to drop the fuse box just yet.

Actually that might not work, as don't know what the circuit is like in the dash board.

So check continuity from

Dash loom T28/27 --> to the module.

If you don't want to drop the fuse box just yet.

Might have a go at this tonight when I swap out my clocks to see if that fixes. If it does then transistor required for original clocks so I can keep the mileage correct.....not that it is correct having been rebuilt 50k miles ago.

Did it work correctly before you stripped and cleaned it?

Worked on switch but seemed to pause/stick so stripped/cleaned and now its smooth. It's never worked automatically for me :(

Ok so last night I swapped out my clocks for an ebay set. Mileage is give/take 2k more than mine but I did hope the change would fix the spoiler.

Anyway a test drive to the shops, 45mph seen and no movement. This morning however 60mph seen and up she goes, OMG I have the VR spec module fitted :) :) :) speed drops to slow and down she goes.....how the hell I'm not gonna crash when watching this I'll never know.

Now to order a replacement transistor (the bit that allegedly fails) for my old clocks and fix them.

Yee-haa :dance:

Well done, Stuart! :thumb right:

Hard work and determination does pay :)

Now u just have to watch front too as I pull away from u! :) :lol: