paceo

Brand new corrado vr6 timing chain guide worn already?? PICTURES INSIDE!

hi guys fitting my 263 camshafts to my corrado engine and i notice that one of the timing chain guides is worn already?? its the guide where the 27mm big gold bolt tensioner tensions. the chain has scored the plastic! any reason why this would happen? its got me paranoid now!! :scratch:

scoring_zpsfivkdoe1.jpg

too much tension in the tensioner bolt. Needs to be bled, pulled out a few mm under oil and the engine turned over with no sparks or fuel to build up oil pressure properly.

I know there are two types of tensioner bolts, hopefully when this was done it was the right bolt!!

how do you bleed them again?? when I done mine 7 years ago I think I filled a cup full of oil, put the tensioner end in it and pushed down, then put it on the engine and cranked the engine over with no spark etc......... I disconnected the engine harness loom.

Edited by paceo

This thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2586629-How-can-new-style-timing-chain-tensioner-fit-into-92-VR6 confirms the newer tensioning bolt is longer.

Vag-hag is probably right. Check part number of tensioning bolt it should be 021109507A to match your chains and guide (B suffix is later part).

Edited by thegolfman

If your upgrading to the mk4 guide do you need to use the mk4 tensioner bolt?

I'm not sure where this mk4 thing comes from. The only mk4's that were 12v were not in the UK. Unless its utilising 24v parts, I dont know.

However, OBD2 VR Golf's used a single chain and one piece plastic tensioner, along with the 021109507B (not A!) tensioning bolt. These where meant to be better than the older duplex chain and two piece plastic and metal tensioners where the rivets can wear through causing the top layer of plastic to break free rattling around inside the crankcase.

Edited by thegolfman

Might be me confusing it with the mk4 thing. Not sure why i call it that. I'm mixing it up with the rear brake upgrade lol

Duplex chain so must be. Just wondering why you didnt go for the newer one piece guide when you changed them?

i bought the corrado engine from here dude, so this is how it came! it had new chains and guides etc.......... but i was inspecting it prior to fitting in a few weeks, i have ordered a new guide from vw today, so hopefully it will be 1-piece?

as far as the 27mm bolt tensioner is concerned, i think the one with the nipple is for the double top chain and the one with no nipple is for a single top chain?

edited - as confirmed in the american site on the link above, i do need the 27mm tensioner with the nipple, as the nipple slides into the slot on the chain guide! so im guessing the mechanic who fitted this fit, never bled the tensioner correctly causing mine to wear?

tens_zpsoyxbublm.jpg

Edited by paceo

If your upgrading to the mk4 guide do you need to use the mk4 tensioner bolt?

Yes mate. Also known as the banana.

I'm not sure where this mk4 thing comes from. The only mk4's that were 12v were not in the UK. Unless its utilising 24v parts, I dont know.

However, OBD2 VR Golf's used a single chain and one piece plastic tensioner, along with the 021109507B (not A!) tensioning bolt. These where meant to be better than the older duplex chain and two piece plastic and metal tensioners where the rivets can wear through causing the top layer of plastic to break free rattling around inside the crankcase.

USA mk4 golfs had 12v vr6 lumps. The yellow tensioner was fitted to these as a revised part to replace the 2 piece black one. A pre sprung bolt went with it to suit. :thumbleft:

Nice, I have the new bolt and banana, finished putting my engine together today so should be all good was just a little worried I had the wrong parts, should be all good though.

Nice, I have the new bolt and banana, finished putting my engine together today so should be all good was just a little worried I had the wrong parts, should be all good though.

Happy days