Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

Hi all....G60 question

Lo all,

This is my first post here and i need your help. Theres a G60 down at my local scrapyard, only saw it quickly but its for sale for £1750.

Going back tomoz to have a good look over it and hopefully a drive.

Ive read through the buying guide which is helpful, but ive never had anything to do with superchargers before, i have no idea what an MFA is or how to use it to check boost etc.

Can anyone give me any pointers?? I could just afford the car but not having to fork out for a new charger after a week :)

Any help is gratefully received :)

MFA

the MFA is the trip computer which its controls on the left to the steering wheel on the stalk arm

as for the boost test ull need to get someone local to u with a boost gauge to come along and see what its producing :)

Assume that you're going to have to pay for it to be rebuilt (unless there's documentation to prove that ir's been done in the last 20k miles) and regotiate the price on that basis.

MNuTz, - welcome to the forum m8

May be helpful if you stick your location into your profile. If the car's near Birmingham I'll come & have a look for you - otherwise check this http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11067 maybe somebody else would be able to have a quick look for you.

Realistically, at that price, the charger is likely to be fooked. Budget at least £500 to have that done & maybe another £500 for a full service + other urgent bits & pieces. DO NOT BUY without having a HPI check done - car could have a bad history.

The scrapyard is near Market Drayton, between Telford and Shrewsbury and thats a fair distance from Birminham & Leeds, but thanks for the offer. ill check that other thread too.

Sometimes this scrappy will let you trade in a roadworthy car for a smashed one depending on the value of the car you want. It looks ok, and has all documents. Going to look at it later hopefully and take it for a drive :) Then if i like it im going to ask that my deposit is going to be placed against the outcome of an MOT (that ill get done) and a HPI check :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Just been to see the car but couldnt take it out at that time for a test drive. Its in good condition and looks to of had a respray (read end). It got 117,160 miles on the clock. Its got a few oil leaks from pipes in the engine bay and one of them is actually taped on to the connector. The interior and exteriorr looks really well looked after and theres no visible rust anywhere. Due to a flat battery i couldnt start it up or test the turbo using the buying guides suggestions, so im going back with my own battery to test it.

The major thing thats worrying me is that it may be an import. To the right of the steering wheel there is a small plastic square that had german writing on it. I didnt get to check out the log book as they were closing. How will this effect getting parts and insurance??

Just done a quick RAC check on it, and it came up with this:

Date manufactured 30 December 1992

Number of previous owners 6

Last owner change 11 September 2003

Is 6 owners quite high??

I think that six owners is quite a number... :wink:

I would start thinking why did six people sell the car? :?:

You should take someone who knows well the G60 to take a look at him before you buy it. :idea:

About the insurance i am not the best person to advice you as you see. :roll:

But i see all the time Direct Line Insurance with 30% off on Sky News... LOL :lol:

Is the C green with a 3rd rear brake light?

Just wondered if it's my old G60 .... J 754 WBO

Always wonder what happened to that car.

Sorry LJ the number plate is J15 JLP, anyone recognise it?

6 owners makes 1 every 2 years, i imagine some people just sell them on when the charger needs replacing/rebuilding. Going to get a HPI check on it i think ASAP!!

MNuTz, - My g/f lives in Shrewsbury - I can still have a look if you like :?:

I live next to the M6 in Birmingham so it's not too far.

6 owners ain't too much - mine's had 5 (including me).

The major thing thats worrying me is that it may be an import. To the right of the steering wheel there is a small plastic square that had german writing on it. I didnt get to check out the log book as they were closing. How will this effect getting parts and insurance??

Just done a quick RAC check on it, and it came up with this:

Date manufactured 30 December 1992

Number of previous owners 6

Last owner change 11 September 2003

Is 6 owners quite high??

right i might be able to allay yer fears a wee bit.......the bit with german writing on it.........does it say....bleifrei unleaded sans plomb???? or similar???......cos all that is....is a wee warning to remember to use unleaded fuel......most early 90 C's have that on the switch blank

and the RAC search for some reason on older cars defaults to December 30th manufactured date...........no-idea why but they do......as mine was reg'd 2/12/95 yet the RAC site says mine was manufactured 30/12/95 so near on impossible :wink:

and 6 owners in 12 years aint too bad tbh.........as the first couple of owners could well have been in the first year of ownership :wink: