colinstubbs

Still Noisy under floor fuel pump after pump & filter change

1990 1.8 KR 1.8 16v - I have had problems with the engine kangarooing/cutting out and the lower fuel pump was very whiny when this happened. Felt like fuel starvation. RAC attended and suggested pump or blocked filter. It was due a filter (240k) so I went for the cheaper option first, changed the filter and it drove to work 20 miles no problem, but then it did the same thing halfway home again - good old RAC, it was even the same lad!

Bit the bullet and got a new pump which I've just fitted, had to remove the whole panel due to dodgy pump screws so it was nearly all disconnected and then reassembled. No leaks but the new pump is also very noisy. I'm wondering what else could be the problem, the in tank pump seems to be priming okay and the car starts okay so the accumulator appears functional if a tad rusty - would it be worth replacing the accumulator or looking at the in tank pump? Could the tank pump be failing to supply the main pump with sufficent fuel or does the main pump suck the fuel from the tank once primed??

Edit:- Its still up on ramps would this make a difference?

Any pointers gladly accepted!!

Chances are your intank pump has failed and is causing a restriction to the outer pump causing it to cavitate. extend the outer pump suction end pipe with a piece of fuel hose into the tank bypassing the intank pump and see if its as noisey.if it quietens-new intank pump.

Cheers for that dannyboy I'm thinking new lift pump to be the way forward. Volvo MOT first thing (8am - what was I thinking!!) then Corrado time again!!

The accumulator unit is there to provide positive pressure to enable hot restarting and prevent fuel cavitation in the fuel lines when the engine is hot so should have no impact on a running engine.

My KR pump has always been noisy, no issues with fuel delivery but you have to remember they work at 3 times the pressure of the VR/G60 ones so are under more stress - you are using what is provided to motorsport as a Bosch competition fuel pump in an earlier evolution.

If your fuel filter was that old it may just be some debris working its way through the fuel system - there are delivery rate checks that can be done with a measuring jug to confirm correct fuel flow and a pressure gauge can be fitted to check pump output, obviously taking care with the pressures and fuel side.

Well new lift pump fitted and all seems well, I tried con-checking the old pump but it seems pretty FUBAR-ed and open circuit. It was obviously on its way out big time when it was giving me gyp.

As Toad said via FB the retaining ring was a big of a git, but loads of WD40 and a club hammer and screwdriver skilfully applied sorted it :bonk:

I'd hoovered around the top of the tank and then again after applying the hammer! I had to cut off the hose clips on the two IN-OUT hoses and then another retaining the lift pump to some in-line valve/rubber device - I replaced all these with stainless steel jubilee clips. All in all a bit fiddly but no major dramas :)