carrots

ap coilovers

In the end the impact gun was ineffective (though it does seem pretty powerful, so I will keep it in my toolbox for future use!) - so resorted back to metal bars slipped over the allen key and a long as breaker bar for the top nut - which eventually worked.

Front swap went mostly OK apart from the bolt which holds the little brackets at the base of the dampers (to secure the ABS sensor cable and brake line) shearing - but popped to VW and was surprised that they were still available to order, which I did - should be here tomorrow.

So tomorrow evenings last bit of tinkering will be to raise the car some more (too low - ground out, whilst taking it out the garage on a small test drive!), fit these little brackets, and reinstall bits of trim and stuff removed from the rear during installation - and then see about getting it aligned.

It seemed to drive pretty nice - steering seemed a good bit lighter (which I am happier about, as I felt it was too heavy), and it didn't seem as firm as I feared it might - clearly the suspension is actually working now though compared to my old dampers which I think were totally dead! Can't wait to take it on a proper drive on some familiar roads now.

In the end the impact gun was ineffective (though it does seem pretty powerful, so I will keep it in my toolbox for future use!) - so resorted back to metal bars slipped over the allen key and a long as breaker bar for the top nut - which eventually worked.

Front swap went mostly OK apart from the bolt which holds the little brackets at the base of the dampers (to secure the ABS sensor cable and brake line) shearing - but popped to VW and was surprised that they were still available to order, which I did - should be here tomorrow.

So tomorrow evenings last bit of tinkering will be to raise the car some more (too low - ground out, whilst taking it out the garage on a small test drive!), fit these little brackets, and reinstall bits of trim and stuff removed from the rear during installation - and then see about getting it aligned.

It seemed to drive pretty nice - steering seemed a good bit lighter (which I am happier about, as I felt it was too heavy), and it didn't seem as firm as I feared it might - clearly the suspension is actually working now though compared to my old dampers which I think were totally dead! Can't wait to take it on a proper drive on some familiar roads now.

Hi Jim,Sorry to hear you had a bit of a faff with the job.

i was advised to keep the to the high setting for 50 to 100 miles before adjusting down to the ride height required. Dont know if this is the norm but the guy is pretty clued up on this stuff machanic etc.

What height you going to be running at.

Guess I want the car to be at about a 30-40mm drop at the absolute max.

Have you got a pic of your car with its current ride height?

Guess I want the car to be at about a 30-40mm drop at the absolute max.

Have you got a pic of your car with its current ride height?

Adjusted down last night but it's too low, will be adjusting back up and will post a pic.

Set slightly higher now, 97 mm from the bottom thread of the strut if i remember correctly. Will give you something like this ride height.

Before and After.

IMG_20160320_134021111.jpg

IMG_20160320_134000416_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160806_164459597.jpg

IMG_20160806_164542037_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160806_164701767_HDR.jpg

Edited by Ray1965

Well after running now with them on the car for 2 weeks I'm quite impressed with the ride quality and set up height. Have run around town, country roads and on the motorway with no issues.

Yeah they seem pretty decent. Ride isn't as hard or crashy as I expected either - it's softer sprung than my Fiesta ST!

Need to have another go at raising the height of mine - definitely too low!

Yeah they seem pretty decent. Ride isn't as hard or crashy as I expected either - it's softer sprung than my Fiesta ST!

Need to have another go at raising the height of mine - definitely too low!

Nice one Jim glad you got them sorted. Did you see my pics of the ride height of mine?

Nice one Jim glad you got them sorted. Did you see my pics of the ride height of mine?

I did - looked good! Need to compare your height measurements to mine I think.

I did - looked good! Need to compare your height measurements to mine I think.

Did you sort the ride height then Jim?

Not yet Ray. Been busy for much of the week and just not had the energy to spend the hours faffing with the car.

If the weather behaves this evening I may go over there and have a tinker.

Popped over this evening and sorted out the ride height a bit, and also had a go at correcting the camber using a highly scientific implement - a spirit level on my mobile phone :) Much happier with the ride height now and the camber actually seems pretty damn good and fairly even each side.. will try grab a picture tomorrow as I'm taking it over to Stealth for second post-rebuild oil change.

Popped over this evening and sorted out the ride height a bit, and also had a go at correcting the camber using a highly scientific implement - a spirit level on my mobile phone :) Much happier with the ride height now and the camber actually seems pretty damn good and fairly even each side.. will try grab a picture tomorrow as I'm taking it over to Stealth for second post-rebuild oil change.

Any pics yet Jim?

I took my car for the tracking setting up and camber, they used a 4 wheel alignment malarky. Drove it for 2 weeks and re-check was done it did need adjusting again, with no charge so all good now :)

Edited by Ray1965

Any pics yet Jim?

I took my car for the tracking setting up and camber, they used a 4 wheel alignment malarky. Drove it for 2 weeks and re-check was done it did need adjusting again, with no charge so all good now :)

Argh - I totally forgot. I'm digging the car out to go to a local breakfast meet this Saturday - I will try and remember to grab a few snaps then. It's ideal too as it's parking on a large, level area of hard standing so should show the ride height correctly.

I've been watching this thread for quite a while now and reading through all comments really scratching my head to either buy these AP or stick to the original plan, KW v1.

My suspension has had it and needs changing so it's a forced move. I realise we're talking about two coilover kits in a different price category but has anyone experienced both AP & KW on a Corrado? Is the KW 2x better than AP as the price would suggest?

Only ever had suspension kits so this is really my first delve into the coilover world.

Didn't get to the car meet today as it was ****ing it down with rain. So no picture. Apologies.

Didn't get to the car meet today as it was ****ing it down with rain. So no picture. Apologies.

Shame Jim would like to see your car on the coil overs. You need to get a photo whilst it is nice today and this week :thumbleft:

I've been watching this thread for quite a while now and reading through all comments really scratching my head to either buy these AP or stick to the original plan, KW v1.

My suspension has had it and needs changing so it's a forced move. I realise we're talking about two coilover kits in a different price category but has anyone experienced both AP & KW on a Corrado? Is the KW 2x better than AP as the price would suggest?

Only ever had suspension kits so this is really my first delve into the coilover world.

I'm happy with the ap's, it's all about budget really when it comes to suspension.

Go with your heart (or what your wallet can take).

Hi all, The time has come I need to make a decision on suspention AP seem to be a fair price was just wondering what you guys think after having them on for a while now.

Where best place to get these at the moment? DPM Performance is the cheapest I can find @ £355 all in.

DPM were where I got mine from and they were great to deal with. No problems recommending them.

In terms of ride, quality, etc they seem fine. They don't compare to higher end stuff but then they cost half of what some entry level coilovers from KW would cost, so like everything in life, you get what you pay for. I'd happily buy them again for another Corrado if I wanted adjustable ride height on a budget.