thamouse1981

front engine mount

Hi so I decided to jack the front end up and have a good look round for things I needed to do. The gearbox mount I could see from the top was shot so replaced it. When I looked at the front mount which looked ok condition wise from underneath (now forgive me im learning) where it bolts through to the subframe with 3 nuts one of them has sheared off!! are they bolted through and nuts underneath or threaded onto the subframe? either way how do I go about replacing it? bumper off? btw is there a wiki on how to remover the bumper?

Many thanks in advance

Ooops not subframe i meant cross beam the one that the front mount bolts through with a retaining cup with what looks like 3 studs and 3 nuts

Can anyone tell me whether these 3 studs that retain the mount cover are replaceable or not? Does a vibratecnic mount negate the use of the cover?

Yep no need to use the 3 stud cover with a Vibra mount. I have one and the difference is amazing :)

Will it have an adverse effect on the other mounts assuming being solid will send movement to the other mounts being rubber? Cant really afford the whole set especially after just replacing the gearbox one with new rubber item

No the others will be ok with just standard mounts and provided they aren't worn already they will be fine. always go with genuine rear mounts though if you replace those as if you are going to do it do it right in the 1st place. :)

Ah just read you replaced that already, they will be spot on then, it's overkill having VT rear mounts too i think is the general opinion so standard are fine.

No problem. Once you have fitted it drive it around the block then loosen the bolts and let the car idle to settle it again then nip up and torque them back up.

Do this with the car FLAT on the ground too. :)