Sign in to follow this  
Justin Lumbard

newbie with new car

Where abouts did you get your VIN number from then? As you say, it should be stamped into the cross member in front of the windscreen, it'll start with WVW. It could just be that it's had an engine transplant, which might not be the end of the world. Definitely worth investigating further though.

If you want to check the VIN, it should also be in the service book and on the sticker in the boot (open boot, look down, it's facing forwards on the back of the boot, you may need to lift the carpet to see it).

But as the guys say, I'd give VW a call to see what they can tell you too.

Good luck mate.

its ok i just rang them and they are busy at the mo but i will be calling them back later, i hace the sticker as some one has taken it off the boot and i found it in the glove box and it does say KR so i think the car has always been a 1.8 its just that i was sold it as a 2.0 so i'm a little vexed about all this, but dont worry i will keep digging and soon i will be able to tell you about frankensteins history :lol: :idea:

don't rule out a 2.0 conversion... ;)

There were a number done by people like Oettinger from new and this could still be one of those ones... 8)

At least the sticker agrees with the log book, so the odds are that it's not a ring-er and it's just a cock up somewhere or a missing receipt for the work done to the engine... 8)

Either way, the 1.8 is still a fantastic engine and is vastly under-rated IMHO... 8)

Check the engine number (it's on the front of the block just below the head gasket join on the flat bit) and check that it tallys up with the V5

OK the car has been worked on my the local volks garage who love " Frankenteiner " to bits, i say that 'Volk City' garage in Plymouth is a great place to take your car, the man there is genuine and will only do work to the car if it needs it, he was sorry to see her go but my word he has done a good job, all the electrics and wiring that were lose and looking bad are now all put back and repaired where needed, he replaced the distributor and repared all the wiring, the injection pipes and jets were all replaced and plugs, air filter, oil switches, filter, ht leads, man I could go on and on but I wont :lol:

Anyway you were right Henny she is a 1.8i 16v on a 2.0i plate so that is all being taken care of with a change on the log book and a bit cheaper insurance so all is good,

Now she goes very fast indeed :twisted: :!:

Work this out OK, I paid £1,200.00 for her the work cost £540.00 so intotal then £1,740.00 for a Jreg 1.8i 16v dohc with 118,000 miles.

A bargain or what?

Peace, Out

Justin 8)

*mod edit - Decapped post for you, please turn off your caps lock in future... - Henny*

It wasn't just the 1.8 16vs that had the slider heater controls was it as I have them and I'm a 2.0l 16v?

Here we go again! ;) :lol: 8)