colwan

My first G60 coilovers rant part 1!

Just returned to corrado ownership after some time off, a much unloved G60 came up locally (Newcastle under Lyme) and I just couldn't resist any more. The poor little thing had been badly abused my several poor owners lowerd so low that the tie bars have worn a Grove in the inside arch! I don't want to offend any one using coilovers but your are wrong.. Very very wrong! Vw didn't spend years and millions in developing the corrado for some idiot to come along and think "I know what will improve this car! £300 worth of **** suspension " anyway rant over (for now) it has got some good things on it stage 4 with jabba documented and a bigger intercooler. Although it's never going to be stock again.. I'm left with a quandary

1, carry on modified route and make it mine 2,full race strip rollcage track day weapon

3,synchro conversion

Thought please....

Quite a lot of people use coilovers on here.. there's nothing that says they have to be wound right down to the lowest possible setting :) But even if they are then, well, that's the owners choice.

When I bought mine it was on coilovers wound so low it scraped everywhere. I lifted it about an 1" and whilst it's still low, it improved both the scraping and the ride quality.

The coilovers fitted are a bit harsh for my liking and am hoping to soon swap for some with a better ride quality, but I won't be going back to standard springs etc.

Suspension will always a compromise comfort/ride/handling and definitely cost (you get what you pay for). VW's standard setup will have been a finely balanced the compromise to meet the masses but as cost effective as possible. I personally prefer to compromise on the comfort/ride part rather than the handling as my car is for me, not the masses.

Re your decision, don't try and make a track day weapon if you want standard springs/shocks, it won't cut the mustard.

Edited by MZpog

Yes im sure VW spent much time in getting what they think was the correct suspension, distributed along with the rest of the car

however, I would imagine that as KW used to provide the suspension for the Porsche Cup racing cars they more than likely spent a lot of money specifically on suspension

buy crap suspension, get a crap ride.

buy good suspension, get the ride you specifically want

On reflection my comments were a bit misplaced, I was really getting at the fact that some idiot has ruined the G60 by putting cheap jom coilovers on slammed to the deck and totally wreaked the floor pan, sump, bits of the sill and the ride.

I have no doubt if you spend some dosh on a proper set of coilovers it will give fantastic results albeit with a lot of fine tuning.

Hi Dox will have to look out for you mate I live in stone and the G60 isn't my daily what's your corrados colour? Mines blue and loud very 🔊 😀

Hi Dox will have to look out for you mate I live in stone and the G60 isn't my daily what's your corrados colour? Mines blue and loud very

I'm not in Stoke any more and rarely in Stone, mines deep burgundy pearl and dirty, my number plate will be easier to spot than the colour......