pkradman

g60 gear box help

ok ive recently brought another g60 (nugget) and im trying to keep it alive but it sure is testing me .. my problem the gear box 1st to 2nd has got a crunchwhen pulling of at hig revs its had a brand new clutch fitted now my mechanic is saying the gearbox (syncros) are the problem , so ... im thinking its gonna be easier just to replace the box ?? ive done a bit of home work on gear box codes my question is will a box from a 16v work ok as the ratios seem to be the same , or will it have to be a g60 allocated code ?? please any help would be appreciated ..lee

Have you tried doing a gearbox oil change? Mine made huge difference just buy doing this.

If your thinking of fitting another gearbox, will it be a refurbished one? As what's to say you still don't have problems with the gearbox.

Hallo,

As Sanky has already touched on a good quality transmission oil will make the world of difference, VW 1st and 2nd syncros are not good from cold and some oil will fix that - recommended route would be some Redline MTL 90 although any good fully synthetic gear oil will help.

All 4 cylinder gearboxes will fit ok as long as they are 02A type ones, the 16v has much shorter ratios which are not appropriate for a G60 (70 mph sees around 3.5k RPM) so I would hunt about for a G60 one.

Out of interest as I don't know where my old nugget is now is the reg J*** JGU?

just to back up whats been said .. ive took it to my local gearbox centre just happens the owner is a bit of a vw nut , he also said the same the gear box oil will makes the world of difference , plus the idle control valve is playing (unstable revs) up along with a lil bulge in the clutch slave pipe so im gonna get these sorted first failing that he can rebuild it for 300 .. and no its not ur old nugget rado .. :-)