james153

Vr6 into a 9a, what's needed?

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this may have been covered else where, but I cannot find anything using the search tool. I am looking for a definitive list of everything I will need to put a VR6 into my 9a, as I'm fed up of how unreliable the fueling system is and the lack of torque for day to day driving.

I would love a shopping list of every part so that I can buy them all and fit it over say a weekend (perhaps a little too optimistic, but you know what I mean) as I a very strapped for time these days.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help.

James

would of thought you are better off just buying a vr6 and using the sale of your 2.0 to fund it.

Ditto, they don't make much money at the current time anyway, a bitsa would have very little value once done.

1.8T or a 24V maybe?

Definately a good financial decision, but I've had the 2.0L since I was 17 so she means quite alot to me, would rather do the swap if it's possible.

Completely understand where you are coming from if you have had it that's long, how about a turbo? Would be something different and would probably mean a little les fabrication.

You'll need a good VR6 engine, but the 2.9 is fairly rare to get hold of,

where as the 2.8 is a bit more common as it was used in the MK3 Golf VR6.

You'll need the VR6 gearbox as the gear ratios are matched to the engine.

Complete VR6 engine bay wiring looms

and ECU, various other relays that the 16v don't use (all Corrados use the same fuse box, just use different wiring looms on 4 cylinder & 6 cylinder engines)

All coolant hoses.

radiator (might be a slightly larger core to that used on the 16s)

Radiator lower support beam.

coolant expansion bottle.

Exhaust manifold.

Exhaust down pipe.

Engine / gearbox mounts.

Corrado VR6 front subframe (I think there are differences between VR6 & 16s)

Drive shafts.

Lower suspension arms.

Anti roll bar & link joints (you might get away with using your 16v ones, depends how they line up.

I know the VR6 anti roll bar is slightly thicker in diameter compared to the 16s)

Steering tie rods (VR6 has a slightly wider track so you may need the steering tie rods)

Electrics = 16v Corrado alternator is 90amp and the circuit goes through the instrument cluster unit.

VR6 Corrado alternator is 120amp or somewhere near that, and again circuit goes through the instrument cluster unit, so you may well need the VR6 clocks ?)

Dash wiring to clocks = (instrument cluster unit)

Throttle cable.

Vacuum hoses.

Air flow sensor.

Air box.

Fuel pump.

Fuel tank (later 16v uses 70L fuel tank same as VR6, just depends how different the pump fitting is between the two models.

Regarding the VR6 engine if it's fairly bare, then you might need other bits like,

Inlet manifold,

Coil pack,

HT leads,

Various sensors.

This is just a taste of what you may need.

I can understand why you want to change, as the fuel system on the Corrado 16v is 1970s / early 1980s technology from the MK1 Golf, it's the lazy metering head that let's it down,

VW kept this system up until 1995 / 1996 ok it was slightly updated but not by that much.

Other cars used decent electronic multi point injection that didn't use the metering head and so they were more responsive and lively.

I know the 16v Corrado isn't the quickest but it handles so well on the road and still has the good looks, same as the VR6 & G60.

What about fitting throttle bodies to your 16v, with all the right gear you could get the horse power up to near 200.

Or fit a Audi TT engine, these are 1.8 20v turbo charged with 180 BHP or 225 BHP as standard.

Or use a MK3 Golf 2.0 16v ABF engine,

with all the bit needed, this engine has 150 BHP as standard, and is miles more responsive then the old 9A set up.

Or bolt a supercharger to your 9A with all the work done to cope with the extra horse power.

Hope this helps.

Si

Thank you all for the replies, I will certainly have to do some more research to keep the old girl alive! Hopefully I shall start a build thread for people to follow the progress.

Thanks again

James

Thank you all for the replies, I will certainly have to do some more research to keep the old girl alive! Hopefully I shall start a build thread for people to follow the progress.

Thanks again

James

As someone else said you may be best buying a donor Corrado VR6 - one with shagged / rotten through bodywork perhaps with a good engine, then you can just swap the whole drivetrain over and crush the old shell?

Good luck with it!

Let me know if you need any help. Am fairly local and fitted my vr6 three times now.

Also got a 2.9 vr engine i don't really need.

donor corrado would deffo be the way to go, IMO doing this on a drive would be an absolute chore, your better off renting a shed for the winter and doing it then, especially as your going to want to replace things like crank seals, clutch, timing chains etc, and theres all ways something that pops up where you got to order it,