Gti_Jamo

Any paint techs in the house?

Basically need a bit of advice regarding bad reaction i'm having.

I usually spray my own stuff with no issues but now and then take on the odd job. I'm prepping and painting a front bumper and sideskirts for a mate. The problems began with sanding the bumper smooth, it had been temporary rattle canned a few months ago really badly and just came off in wee chunks and being a plastic bumper I couldn't take it all right back without spending huge amounts of time on it so reccomended the owner get a another bumper but they'd done smoothing work on it previously so wanted it done. I said I could run some stone chip over it, flat it and filler primer it to save time which i've done before. However I never had any of my usual stuff for the shultz gun left so got some aerosol tetrosyl. It went on fine and left to cure for 2 days.

The problems began when i applied some cellulose primer to the equation, despite only using thin dry coats to begin with it reacted in numerous areas opening up like wounds and it's a mess. Any ideas to work as a repair without taking it all back? I doubt that's even possible and the bumpers as good as scrap. If I got 2k primer to seal it all in and then repair the reacted areas before blowing them over would that work. I think the reaction is the thinners in the cellulose but it appears to have stopped and is dry.

I've got 4 days left before it all needs to be finished.

you need to seal it all with a 2k primer first, or you could try upols bar coat , The solvents in celly or solvent basecoat or any paint with a high solvent content wont effect a 2k surface...

edit: sand the reacted areas smooth then seal the whole thing with 2k primer or upol barcoat

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Cheers mate yeah I was just reading up on barcoat there and it appears that's what i need. Will pick some up tomorrow. I'll prob just take all the primer off beforehand to save any other hassle with it. Might just get it done in time now.

Thanks again.

no worrys, iv never used barcoat before i only remember looking into it as an option but i went with using 2k primer, have a good look here especially at the "over painting" at the end, says you still need to put a primer on top http://www.hex.co.uk/tds/upol/barcoat.pdf

i think i would rather just use a 2k primer to seal that crap and let it dry and sand it all flat and be done ready for colour,