deamon90002004

clunking

Hey all, got a 91 g60, ive recently changed lower ball joints, last year swapped spring plates to early vr6 including top mounts and had the tracking done at the start of the month (it was a bit out) about a week later started to get a clunk when i turn (stationary or slow roll) driving in a straight line i get nothing, pull off i get another clunk and slow down, ive jacked it up yanked on the wheels no play, yanked the springs to see if anything there nout, today i put the car on full lock and grabbed the track rod and rocked the steering wheel i could feel a small clunk grabbed the track rod end and repeated no clunk felt grabbed the rod and i can pull the rod and get a bit of a clunk, what can cuase things like this? Track rod, rod end or even the rack bush?

I had same problem I couldn't find it,changed my Jom coilovers and it stopped.might be worth checking that strange nut with the slits in is still tight under top plates

Checked the nuts on the top mounts/plates tighter than a badgers arse, but undid and retightned, but im tempted to get spax lowering springs from work as they are a bargain,

make sure all the parts for the top mounts and plates are present.

There should be a washer below the top plate on a G60/16V set up.

I had the same clunking on mine a few years ago... Turns out a garage hadnt fitted all the bit back together when the top mounts were changed.

If they are missing theyre about a pound from VW

On the original top plates i only had top plate and then top mount, then nut, so new one i assumed was like that, so put top plate on, then bearing then nut on top and been fine for about year with no issues, only started after tracking was done

I went round all mu bushes and speayed with gt85 and it quietened down, but can still feel it int the steering wheel or when going slow and turning, ive got power flex wishbone bushes front and i think standard 20+ one on the rear

Right ladies and gents, just stuck it up in the air had a real good play, clunk is the passanger side wheel i can push the wheel down and the top mount pulls away from the strut tower, but wiggle the spring and it makes the noise ive been hearing had a good look up and the tip of the spring has snapped off at the top mount, driver side the spring has gone soft and the last coil is nearly sat inside the next one down and a good hit would make them collide, so top mounts and springs are in order :/