Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

16v tune up

I had my emissions tested today with the following results:

CO2 - 0.24%

HC - 237ppm.

These seem ok?

The CO2 seems a bit low to me and should be around 2%. Does this mean the car is running lean? The fuel comsumption is still a bit shit according to the MFA with an average of 27-27mpg with mainly A road and motorway driving.

Will it make a difference if I get the CO2 set to 2%?

Cheers

It was done at the garage right across from my work and apparently thr guy has a concourse Mk1 Campian ans has just fitted a 20vt to his mates Mk1 that they are away to supercharge.

i thought Co2 should`ve been set to 1%?

dunno though!

please correct me if i`m wrong..... mine`s set at 1%!

cool,

my mechanic`s a bit of an old fart sometimes and doesnt like to listen about mods.....

keep it standard blah blah blah.........

i just like to try and improve things! :)

THe figures you list seem quite within tolerance. The MPG reading is allways a little variable dependant on your MFA. These on board read outs can range from conservative to down right ludicrous. Still that being said 27 mpg for the Corrado is about right for the type of driving you describe. Don't be fooled here by others with 16V MK2 Golf's, their car is lighter and inherently will return better MPG than the Corrado by comparison. With regard to tuning and the 16V in respect of CO% settings the tweak with K Jet cars is allways to set them just a little richer to prevent them leaning off at top end. The exact settings will depend upon the individual engine and the mods it is running.

I had my emissions tested today with the following results:

CO2 - 0.24%

HC - 237ppm.

These seem ok?

The CO2 seems a bit low to me and should be around 2%. Does this mean the car is running lean? The fuel comsumption is still a bit s*** according to the MFA with an average of 27-27mpg with mainly A road and motorway driving.

Will it make a difference if I get the CO2 set to 2%?

Cheers

It was done at the garage right across from my work and apparently thr guy has a concourse Mk1 Campian ans has just fitted a 20vt to his mates Mk1 that they are away to supercharge.

That's the sort of CO you can expect from a car that has been set up (idle CO setting) at an MOT testing station in my experience, although it's a bit low (VW spec wise) it's often what MOT testers will (perhaps incorrectly) use. As others have said, the 16v tends to run lean at the top end and will benefit from being set up a bit richer, although I'm not sure the idle CO setting has much if any effect beyond just being the setting at idle, better to alter the control fuel pressure by tweaking the warm up regulator and getting the engine running richer all through the rev range. This is best done on a rolling road although I got it virtually spot on for my car by simply making small adjustments and checking the sooty deposits on my plugs weren't to bad. The WUR adjustment is most effective on cars that have had cylinder head work or high lift cams though.

David.

Davuid.

Just roughly,how much did you tweak your wur and which direction?? I was told roughly quarter of a turn anti-clockwise??

Just roughly,how much did you tweak your wur and which direction?? I was told roughly quarter of a turn anti-clockwise??

mark the surround and allen screw carefully so you have the factory set position and then IIRC turn about 1/8 of a turn anti-clockwise, going the other way you'll loose no-end of power with as little as 1/4 of a turn, so you'll soon see if you got it wrong.

My CO at idle went up from 0.2 to 2.0 on the MOT gas analyser (3 or 3.5 is the max allowable I think ) with about 1/8 of a turn anti-clockwise, so only use very small movements!

David.

if i were you i would get jim curley to RR tune it...........reckon on about 1 hours RR-time + parts(if required)