Drestroyr32

Bang for buck?!?

So one of my friends has a g60rallye which he's head long into a full 20k resto. But I can't afford that or a 16v g60 like he's doing. So what combination of modifications do you all think gives the most performance difference for the money. Probably I'm a little crazy but I'm picturing the scene in Mad max where he engages the charger and that gorgeous whine and induction noise starts. 😝

You won't get big power without forking out for it in G60 guise. Just get a VR6 for the same price as a G60 and you've already got a head start. That, or a cheap 16v with tidy bodywork but knackered engine, and do a 20vT swap. You won't get the induction or supercharger noise, but the 20vT is very responsive to a bit of tuning so it'll make good numbers (especially with a k03s/k04), and there are tons of em about.

What sort of budget you got in mind?

Grand for a start and we'll see after that. But would like to start from the bottom up if you get me. Maybe head cam and valves first?

You won't get big power without forking out for it in G60 guise. Just get a VR6 for the same price as a G60 and you've already got a head start. That, or a cheap 16v with tidy bodywork but knackered engine, and do a 20vT swap. You won't get the induction or supercharger noise, but the 20vT is very responsive to a bit of tuning so it'll make good numbers (especially with a k03s/k04), and there are tons of em about.

Your not wrong but I'm kind of a purist and not that keen on unusable power and popping turbos although you can't argue with the power! I've done the VR route from a 2.8 to 3ltr screaming motorsport conversion with diff to R32 all in a mk3. So I've kind of scratched that itch. I had a B6 S4 which was wicked and scratched the V8 itch. Now I'd like to slowly build another road going track car with a rado base.