Storm Guy

Windscreen Replacement - Quick Query

So have been unfortunate to have suffered from delamination in near side lower corner several weeks ago which has now developed into a crack (inner pane).

Autoglass are required repairers through insurance.

They say the glass has arrived but are now awaiting the 'trims' which are on order

The outer push-in rubber trim (let's call A), a single piece is straightforwrad and can be pulled out and replaced from existing one (ie the A pillars and roof).

Then there is a seal (B) which lips onto the top of the screen glass (pg 64.7 of workshop manual).

Then there are the mouldings (2xC) that are bonded to the glass either side (A pillar locations). These, last time I had the screen replaced (6-7years ago), were already bonded. Other than spacers, I am not aware of any other trims that are required for a Corrado windscreen replacement.

Autoglass have delayed fitting by two weeks now, even though the glass has arrived, having been specailly ordered - saying that trims now need to be ordered. These apparently and according to Autoglass need to be ordered by VW from Germany!

Can anyone please shed some light on the 'trims' that Autogalss may be referring to. Unless they are the C parts and they are then bonded to each side in the UK.

I have asked for their master technician to call me to explain, after requesting an explanation now for the third time/person.

For information, as stated, went through a replacement several years ago, when three new screens were required. Two the broke while fitting (mobile fitters) with the third being done in branch. However I understand that they now only have mobile fitters and do not use branches - rather worrying.

Thanks

I have a set of the three plastic trims, i bought a whole set of windscreen trim and only used the outer rubber seal.

I think some screens come with the plastic trim already on (as you say)

Many thanks Jim, was probably the bonded side trims then...but update now is......

....had a voicemail from Autogalss saying they are now unable to fix the Corrado due to unavailable trims/glass - so a wasted couple of weeks with them.

Had to now go to National Windscreens as a second supplier to the insurance co., so will see how that pans out. They just need to order the scuttle clips, glass and trims.

Let me know if you need the trims as i don't need them.

Scuttle clips might be obsolete now if it's the ones that hold the bottom three piece plastic trim above the end of bonnet.

When autoglass done mine they arrived with the kit including side trims but the screen also had the side trims bonded. I just sold the spare set on.

Remember and check for rust when screens out and watch the fitter like a hawk.