Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Cobra 7928 installation instuctions needed

Hi All

Mt VR is fitted with a Cat 1 Cobra 7928 (as per the pic). Its playing up in the following areas.

1. Does not fully closure.

2. Immobilisation does not seem to be working.

3. LED flashes while engine is running.

Had a quick look at the woring today and its a typical alarm fitters mess (I really dont know how they get away with it!) but I only have the user instructions. Does anyone have the installation instructions for this alarm, or know where I maybe able to get it from. I can then trace all the wires and hopefully find the reasons for the malfunctions.

Did you try disconnecting the battery for a while?

I had a similar problem in mine and it worked...

But my alarm isn´t Cobra it is Gemini.

Well I have the exact same alarm mate - I dont have installation instructions, I do have the manual, which I am happy to scan segments of for you when I am back at work next week.

*edit*

Doh.. didnt see your post saying you had the manual already :roll:

I have the manual thanks Jim. Does yours do full closure? And I guess your LED stays off when the engine is running?

I'll may give disconnecting the battery a go. Thanks.

Hiya...

Yes the alarm does do full closure (well apart from the sunroof as that wasn't a Corrado feature until the later models) - the light stays blinking on and off when running the engine only if the car is in valet mode. Unlike the Clifford alarms, valet mode on these will let you start and stop the car as much as you want, and is only turned off once you lock the car / arm the alarm from the keyfob.

Normally just arming the alarm disables valet mode!

To get it into valet mode you turn the ignition on, and then press the smaller button on the keyfob - should sound with a single beep - and then you turn the ignition off and remove the key and it will beep twice again to remind you its in valet mode. You will get these two beeps every time you turn the car off having driven it to remind you that you are in valet mode.. but just lock the door / arm the alarm from the fob to disable valet mode and go back to normal mode.

If the engine doesnt seem to immobilise and you have the blinking light all the time, then it does sound like you are kinda stuck in valet mode for some reason?!

thanks again Jim,

no mention in the user instructions I have about Valet Mode (I wonder if my alarm is a slightly different model to yours), anyway I tried what you suggested to get it into valet mode but no beeps. I think there must be a break in the ignition on wire to the alarm somewhere, as you can arm the system with the ingnition on too, all alarms I have had before havent allowed that. Bloody italian electronics!!!

I sure this is the alarm i had fitted to my c when i bought it

The led use to flash all the time on mine, went thru 4 brains til the problem was sorted and it was getting electronic pulses which were spiking the alarm and corrupting it

Bloody italian electronics!!!

Ironically lots of car alarms come from Italy. GT, META and Selca for example. They also supply direct to manufacturers including VW.

I fit Selca immobilisers and GT alarms and never have any bother.

Does your car lock off the fob? If it does but doen't shut the windows then usually you need to extend the locking pulse. It does sound like the brain has forgotten what it is supposed to be doing.

Depending how old it is, it might be better to fit a new alarm. Plenty of cheap cat 1s on ebay if you can do it yourself.

Gavin

Had a quick look at the woring today and its a typical alarm fitters mess (I really dont know how they get away with it!)

Although after this comment I'm having second thoughts.....were not all butchers you know :wink:

I'm sure your not SoundsAlarming (sorry to offend) Installation manual by post would be great, I'm pm you the address, many thanks.

The alarm was installed in sept 02, so not to old really, think its worth going through with a diagram and taking out all the scot locks (pieces of cr4p).