Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

Fan motor replacement

Wifes car has broken down at work, AA has been out and said its the fan motor.

GSF has got the part in stock nr wifes work, thinking of taking the pm off work to go and pick the part up and replace at wifes work.

Is it just a matter of unscrewing the metal blade shroud from the radiator and putting the new assembly in then fitting back on? Is it that easy ?

Help would be appreciated...........Mk2 16v by the way, guessing it must be the same as a Corrado though.

Cheers

just been working on it.............got the wrong part, think gsf have given me a 100w two speed motor, need a single speed motor as the 2 speed has three prongs on the connection and I only have two !

Apart from that its very easy to take off

How much was the motor? I'd be inclined to sack off the complete OE fan and housing and fit a nice reliable, neat and far more efficent Facet unit, they are about £70 for a 9 inch jobbie.

Phat, wife works in london.......lots of traffic on the way to work and the car overheated.............the fan is on the car for a reason otherwise it would not be there?

spoke to GSF and I need to cut the car connector and put spade terminals on to mate up with the 2 of the 3 prongs on the fan motor.

I drove my mk2 vr6 for 6 months with no fan. you jus turn the engine off when you're stationary......

I drove my mk2 vr6 for 6 months with no fan. you jus turn the engine off when you're stationary......

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: why wait 6 months for a fan motor though :shock: :shock: :shock:

Because it was only a temporary car built to test my gearbox.

you don't need a fan.

true......of course you need a S***-hot starter motor and juicy battery with all the stopping and starting :wink: :-P :-P :-P :-P

people are lazy, they sit in traffic with their engines running instead of turning them off. that is the only reason the fan is there. cars are made to allows for stupid lazy.

phat lol.......you funny.......presumably you have taken the fan off your vr6 to save weight...............

If you are going to cut the connector off the loom, make sure you rewire it so that the fan runs in the right direction - it sounds obvious but it's easily done to get it wrong, with predictable results.

Best wishes

RB

people are lazy, they sit in traffic with their engines running instead of turning them off. that is the only reason the fan is there. cars are made to allows for stupid lazy.

hmmmmmm but tbh i'd rather be "lazy" and have my fan cut in/out at the required temp than have to knacker my starter motor and battery with constant stop/starting............cos i can't see it being too good an idea myself :?

phat lol.......you funny.......presumably you have taken the fan off your vr6 to save weight...............

on that car, yes.