Brunty's Dad

Drivers door handle disconnected from door lock.

Tried opening the driver's door. Handle loose and does not operate catch. Opens from inside so I tried to take the handle off. The screw refuses to move. I have tried my impact driver and a 2lb lump but no movement at all which is strange as the car had a total respray 12 months ago and the handle was removed for that. Anyway, I am thinking about drilling the screw out but I don't know what is inside. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Reverse thread. The thought had crossed my mind and I then thought 'No obvious reason' Anyone know why?

Repair kit ordered from Amazon, Thanks.

Thanks. Reverse thread. The thought had crossed my mind and I then thought 'No obvious reason' Anyone know why?

Daves kit is the way to go :)

Weirdly, I've also seen drivers' handles with the conventional right-hand thread. One of those weird things they did by mistake - when flipping the mould, maybe?

Beware when you put the handle back on after fitting the repair kit - there are some doors which need the screw not fully tightened to get the handle operating correctly. If you over tighten it without checking then it can get the activation piece stuck under the lock mech, which means it won't open from inside or outside! Flip the door's latch to the closed position (as if it was hooked onto the door pin) with a screwdriver and test it works first, before you shut the door for the first time. Getting it open is a right pain if you don't do this! Mine required it hand-tight but then backed off about 90 degrees to work correctly, the rubber washer that should be around the handle screw will take up the slack. Also make sure the white plastic piece is clipped onto the front of the hole in the door before attempting to fit the handle, otherwise it will be loose and rattle. Often found in the bottom of the door along with the broken remains of the handle striker.

Stone

Repair kit arrived today. Instructions about as much use as an astray on a motorbike but managed to find a low quality instruction video on Youtube. Very fiddly job. Drilling out the roll pin destroyed several drill bits but got there in the end. Handle operation feels smoother than previously so, overall, well satisfied with the result.