Sprinter53

OEM style under bonnet soundproofing kit

Hi-quick question for those who have already fitted the new foam. After removing the old pieces, did you remove absolutely all the residue of the adhesive before fitting the new pieces?

What ever you do , do not scratch the underside of the paintwork as this could lead to moisture in the engine bay causing rust on any metal work that has had the paint removed. I would recommend using steam from a wall paper remover, works a treat and put a sheet over your engine bay to protect it from falling debris. I origianly got the VW heritge insulation what a load of garbage and the glue was awful/imappropriate, ended up cutting my loses and getting the OE stuff but the glue VW heritage sent out left a disgusting mess behind, actually told them to remove it off there site it was that bad but they are still selling it for some reason .

Edited by Keyo

I removed everything, but this is really a boaring work. You can remove almost everything except the glue manual, put a towel on the engine. For removing the glue I used a glue remover which is sold in Germany by OBI, not sure if you get it in the UK.

Regards

Gunther

I wouldnt bother using any glue remover personally as the chemicals could be abrasive to the paint laquer in the long run, just get off what you can with steam and a plastic scraper, this removed all my original insulation and adhesive before the VW Heritge special glue :bonk: , this is one of thoe jobs that the more you do can be negative.

Edited by Keyo

Probably worth getting some alcoholic wipes to then as preperation. Had mine spotless with the steamer but there was no way I could get the VW hertiage glue off after I saw how awful the insulation looked from them as it was more like a hard super glue, trim glue should be strechy, really annoyed to be honest and there still selling it for some other poor sod . Thankfully tuough the new insulation I got has adhered really well , been on for four months now with no issues and if I do I have some heat trim adhesive spray.

Edited by Keyo

@Keyo, I have removed the glue from 3 bonnets with that stuff now, it doesn't harm the paint.

Regards

Gunther

Glad to hear doctor G, they might have that glue remover available over here but might be branded differently for obvious reasons ha.

Edited by Keyo

Hi. If there is one left can I have a late vr6 one shipped to the UKplease.

Thanks

Hi,

I bought the damping pads from Christian, removed the Old residue with "Goo Gone", you can get it on eBay or Amazon or local places...takes a bit of effort but does not damage the paint at all....I sprayed it on liberally, wait 30 mins or so, helps the slap a bit of cling film over the applied area so it doesn't dry out, then scrape off with an old plastic credit card, need to re-do some places, but it will come off cleanly, remember to over up the engine bay with an od sheet or something as the drippings will go everywhere.

A G60 Fan.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the material does not exist anymore. Therefore, there will be no foam in the near future.

I am working on a solution. For me it is important to know how many Corrado drivers are still interested in the foam.

Any update on progress please? Seeking to replace disintegrating VR6 foam...