unclean

Legit ECU loom wiring?

Hey folks,

I'm converting my dizzy to coilpack and decided to re-wrap the new loom in self-amalgamating tape as a matter of course.

Whilst rewrapping I found two suspicious looking bits of tape wrapped underneath the main loom tape.

Now, the joins in these look to be very clean (as in, pressed into a perfect rectangle with each strand accounted for), but I was wondering if they're original or whether someone has been hacking things around?

The first takes a larger black wire and splits it into three smaller wires (two black, one green and black).

loom2.jpg

The second takes two red and blue wires and converts them into two more of different sizes.

loom1.jpg

What do we think? Original for a coilpack loom? If not, what's the best way of connecting them properly?

Cheers, Phil.

Same as my loom was, OEM shoddiness. Self amalgamating tape is great for sealing the joins. Then cover in Tesa fabric tape to retain the original look.

Well that's actually pretty relieving! I was worried I'd have to spend ages chasing wires, thanks.

Good call with the Tesa tape, it's what my orignal dizzy loom had. Although, this loom was wrapped in what looked to be electrical tape, was there a difference between early and late, or perhaps this has been seen to before?

It could well be down to VW saving money on loom tape. Lol. The golf loom for my OBD2 conversion had inch wide insulating tape from the factory. Not seen it on a my coilpack Corrado loom though? Maybe it's a Golf thing. Is your loom from a Corrado?