MZpog

ABSbBrake pedal position sensor failing? VR6 same as 16v?

Seems that its the season for intermittent ABS lights on my valver.

I initially wondered if I'd disturbed a sensor when doing my coilovers, but having searched and read peoples symptoms I may be swaying towards the brake pedal sensor and wondered if they are the same on both valvers and VR's with the part number 357-927-810.

Any input on my symptoms would be appreciated:-

Along with the sometimes on/off ABS light at start up, it occasionally comes on/off with speed bumps. I also sometimes get a strange pedal with a vibration. When it does this the pedal isn't as hard, drops further and make the vibrating or grating noise. The car still stops but needs more effort, but I obviously want to sort this. Generally the light stays off but no doubt this will worsen if something is failing.

Have you had a code read done?

I borrowed a code reader and checked a couple of times previously but note found.

IIRC you can test the brake pedal position sensor by holding down the brake pedal as you turn the ignition on

if it is working properly you should feel a short pulse in your foot through the pedal

IIRC you can test the brake pedal position sensor by holding down the brake pedal as you turn the ignition on

if it is working properly you should feel a short pulse in your foot through the pedal

Will try this at lunch time.

Didn't feel a pulse on the my attempts. First 3 of so were the same - put my foot on the brake (hard pedal), turned ignition on, pedal goes soft and moves a bit until hard again, started car and ABS light on.

Didn't feel a pulse on the my attempts. First 3 of so were the same - put my foot on the brake (hard pedal), turned ignition on, pedal goes soft and moves a bit until hard again, started car and ABS light on.

hmmm I am fairly sure it is quite a distinct pulse but I will go check now for you as im in the VR today (valver hasn't got ABS thank fook lol)

hmmm I am fairly sure it is quite a distinct pulse but I will go check now for you as im in the VR today (valver hasn't got ABS thank fook lol)

blimey cold out there

ok so, in my VR, hold the break pedal down, put key in ignition, turn key to on (but don't start car) & as the key turns feel a clunk / doing under foot & is slightly audible

Seems that its the season for intermittent ABS lights on my valver.

I initially wondered if I'd disturbed a sensor when doing my coilovers, but having searched and read peoples symptoms I may be swaying towards the brake pedal sensor and wondered if they are the same on both valvers and VR's with the part number 357-927-810.

Any input on my symptoms would be appreciated:-

Along with the sometimes on/off ABS light at start up, it occasionally comes on/off with speed bumps. I also sometimes get a strange pedal with a vibration. When it does this the pedal isn't as hard, drops further and make the vibrating or grating noise. The car still stops but needs more effort, but I obviously want to sort this. Generally the light stays off but no doubt this will worsen if something is failing.

This is from Vagcat, appears the same for all RHD cars: http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/54/846188/

Ian.

The pedal sensor is also fitted to MK3 Golf gtis etc the early type with square side repeaters (M plate and older).

The ABS should scan, but some scanners can't connect with 20 year old technology.

Look on ebay for someone local to you who scans with VCDS for a tenner or so

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vcds+scan&_sop=7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=vcds+scan&_sop=7&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvagcom+scan.TRS0&_nkw=vagcom+scan&_sacat=0

I know DG Autotech were able to repair these, so that guide on the Volvo forum looks pretty plausible. Has to be worth a go!

So last night I scan again for ABS faults - no codes.

Also scanned for engine codes which valvers shouldn't be able to read and got a code 00527 that I've cleared before. Cleared it last night and this mornings drive has been free from ABS light. Hmmm.

Well my scanner will scan the ABS and brings back the codes but when I try to clear the codes .... No can do.... Any ideas why

Well my scanner will scan the ABS and brings back the codes but when I try to clear the codes .... No can do.... Any ideas why

None at all. The scanner I've borrowed lets me clear codes, just doesn't find any on the ABS system, which incidentally has behaved again.

What scanner did you have I got a VS450 which although stated as OBD2 I was assured it worked on a Corrado VR6 - whilst it reads the ABS codes in wont read the engine and it wont clear codes - have a I bought wrong one or have I got a faulty one.

Thanks

What scanner did you have I got a VS450 which although stated as OBD2 I was assured it worked on a Corrado VR6 - whilst it reads the ABS codes in wont read the engine and it wont clear codes - have a I bought wrong one or have I got a faulty one.

Thanks

Dunno. It's an orange Ebay special that I borrowed from Wayne, so no doubt they'll be a picture on here somewhere.

Dunno. It's an orange Ebay special that I borrowed from Wayne, so no doubt they'll be a picture on here somewhere.

Is there a make and model number on it?

Guys I have a 1995 VR6 and it talks nicely to the vag com via a USB PC lead and gave me the definitive error code that said bps sensor failure. The info is in here somewhere as I am sure I posted some pics of the innards of the brake position sensor that gave me the same grief with ABS lights and non functioning ABS. You can take out the BPS and fix it yourself if you can wield a soldering iron. It's basically a no cost fix there are a few solder joints that break inside the BPS and break and that's it game over ABS. There is a circlip that's fiddly to remove. Hint use a phone and video the underneath then look at the footage to see how the clip sits in a thin Channel holding the bps in place. A thin screwdriver in the right place gets it off. If this is your problem it's easier to fix than you think. Mines been working happily for just under a year now. Good luck

Did you say you could not read ABS codes with this or can you? - its these I need to read and clear - thanks

Seems to read them on the valver but has never found any so I can't confirm. Wayne used it with success on his VR6 I believe.