MattVR6

Corrado VR6 Service List?

Hi all,

After recent purchase of my Corrado, first port of call (as always) is a good old service. The previous owner said it hasn't been serviced in 2 years, but then it has only done 3000 miles in that time. I have a small independent garage which I trust doing the work, but not sourcing the correct parts. As such I am sourcing all parts myself and have compiled a list after much research. As follows:

Engine: Castrol Quantum Syntha 10w 40 - 6L

Coolant: G12/13 - 10L

Oil Filter: Geniune VW or Bosch for VR6?

Spark Plugs: NKG BKR5EKU/UP x6

Transmission Oil: Castrol SMX-S - 2L

K&N panel air filter 33-2029

It would be much appreciated if you could check that everything included seems to be in order before I start splashing unnecessary cash this close to christmas.

ALSO if I have missed anything off the list then please let me know.

I will check my spark plug condition before I purchase some more, but what is a good indicator that HT leads need replacing? I suppose these can be easily replaced at a later date and easily accessible.

Thanks for any input, service is due next week, Matt

If you don't already have a K&N, I would ditch it and go for MANN or whatever paper filters and replace more slightly often. Cheaper and less hassle in the long run. I had a K&N for years and after switching to paper, never noticed any difference.

For spark plugs, I've always gone for BKR5EIX and never had any issue - never sure about the multiple tips.

Gloster would that be a standard VW part or can you recommend an alternative?

Jamie I will take that into consideration although I have had K&N panel, cone and pancake filters before and I don't mind cleaning them to be honest.

I use Mann Oil filters as well, been finding lately alot of the dealer stuff is now 3rd party made and just VW branded

MT90 is what everyone seems to recommend for the gearbox oil

You won't need 10L of G13 coolant, just 2 x 1.5 litre bottles of it, and then topped up with distilled/de-ionised water.

Agreed with the Mann filters too. Redline MT90 is good for gearbox oil, but unless you're having difficulty selecting gear, I wouldn't be overly concerned with doing it immediately.

Ok i'll take a look into the Mann filters.

I have seen MT90 pop up a lot, but also seen mega praise for the SMX-S. Well, MT90 it is then!! As first and second gear are very notchy when cold. The whole gear selection process is very wooly, and one of the cables (in the engine bay) has been bodged as there is no split pin holding it in. Still goes into gear fine....I just feel it could be a lot better and is the weakest part of the car's driveablility at the moment. I will probably get all the lnkages and cables replaced at some point, and maybe a short shifter installed and stuff. Until then I have no idea when the gearbox oil was last changed, so rather do it for peace of mind eh!

I have seen some G13 Deuluxe bottles which come pre dialuted? In which case I would need 10L. Either way I will get dialuted 10L or undialuted 5L as it's a 50/50 mix I have read?

Edited by MattVR6
Grammar

Fair enough, I can't remember exact capacity of the coolant system but I think its somewhere around 8L, with 10L for cars with A/C iirc. Usually 3L of coolant diluted to those ratios is more than sufficient for its anti-freeze properties in the UK, but whatever you're happy with go with that mate.

The gearchange being cable, really doesn't make for a particularly good feeling selection. I think its the Corrados biggest downfall if I'm honest.

spark plugs I would recomend beru instead of ngk

oil for transmision- I got oil from vw dealer, so far all ok with gearbox in my car,

as far as I know, there is diferent oil for CHN gearbox for 2,9 engine than CCM gearbox for 2,8 vr6, worth to check ETKA, and original part numbers of these oils

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82690[/ATTACH]

Edited by tomi