Bfstrachan

New 4 branch manifold hitting the steering rack!

Just fitted an 'Ashley' 4 branch exhaust manifold to my 1.8 16v and it is catching on the steering rack. Is this normal or is there something I can do to resolve this. I'm guessing there are plenty of you guys have fitted a 4 branch - so looking to find out if anyone has had a similar issue?

Thanks!

Been doing a little reading about possible causes and looks like the front engine mount may be the cause. Would a faulty mount cause the engine to drop sufficient to be hitting the steering rack?

I could be wrong on this but a shorter front engine mount would raise the back of the engine/ manifold to clear the rack?

I had the opposite problem in the past, fitted a taller solid mount to take the manifold away from the heat shield on the tunnel

Was this manifold built to specifically suit the KR or 9A engines? If this is not the case the it might not be correct for the short block 16v? If it was for KR and your engine mounts are stock the the unit is is either faulty or you have another fault causing this. If the front engine mount is suffering from the common wear / age issue the when under load or acceleration the front of the engine will lift causing the manifold excessive movement and contact with the rack etc.

Thanks guys for the replies. The manifold came from a guy who knows about corrado's and he assured me it is right for my 16v. I don't know about the mounts, but have ordered a febi one and will change it out before trying anything else. If I am fortunate this will resolve it :)

Ok, quick update - just fitted the new front engine mount (Febi one). Unfortunately it has not solved the issue :( I had a look around the rear mount and it was not looking too great. The manifold is still resting on the steering rack! Any further advice would be lovely...

I've been looking to buy a 4:2:1 manifold for my g60 for a while now and I believe you need a manifold specifically for RHD with power steering otherwise you'll have problems. So are you sure you've got the correct manifold? Have you got a link for the one you've got?

I've been looking to buy a 4:2:1 manifold for my g60 for a while now and I believe you need a manifold specifically for RHD with power steering otherwise you'll have problems. So are you sure you've got the correct manifold? Have you got a link for the one you've got?

Hi, funny I was just on the phone to the guy who sold it to me. Yes, it is definitely for the KR code and it was previously fitted to a car with power steering. I am about to replace the rear engine mount just in case. When I was looking around earlier today the rear did look a little premised and did look to have a crack around the rim of the rubber part.

Thanks for the comment!

Quick update, after a bit of juggling and changing mounts, finally got it fixed! Started by changing the front mount but that made zero difference. Next was the rear mount, that made a slight improvement. Then had local fabricators make a 5 mm spacer to fit between the rear mount and the engine bracket. That made a big difference, but ended up wit 10mm spacer to completely rid the issue. Now I have a knocking middle and back box as a result of lifting the 4 branch, but pretty sure that will not be a big issue to resolve in comparison...

suspicious of the 4 branch (engine it is for) as the mk3 16v engine is almost exactly that much taller

Wish I had known! Has ended up costing a small fortune to "make" this one fit! Will there be any adverse issues as a result of having to raise the rear of the engine by 10mm? It has already knocked the rest of the exhaust system out and I'm having to get all that re configured next week.

Thanks for all the advice!