Sign in to follow this  
chris CORRADO

OIL COOLER

ok i had a poke around in the engine bay today... as i noticed something dodgy :roll:

oil%20cooler.JPG

why is there a random plug thing floating around.... does this explain why my oil light did not come on when i ran out of oil???

also while i had the camera out what is this...

god%20knows.JPG

hummmmm looks like some sort of relay but what does it do...

and also while i'm at it my MFA MPG function don't work any more which plug is the sensor which comes from the gearbox...????

which.JPG

there is about 100 plugs and all of em are pluged in and on properly.... but if i know which one it is i can clean it and stuff.. and trace where it goes

I think that connector is the spare for the air conditioning if you don't have it. Not sure about the relay box. The MFA should be thin vacuum pipe that connects to the back of the dash, not sure where it goes in the engine bay though.

that relay box is the fan controller actually. nothing to do with the ABS.

MPG works off a purple wire (with a black tracer I think?) somewre in the clock loom.

oh, and clean your engine bay, that's disgraceful :|

I don't think that there is a connection from the gearbox to the MPG function on the MFA . I had always thought that it worked on the basis of integrating over time the vacuum developed by the inlet manifold , via a diaphragm/ transducer behind the dash. This is connected by a small bore hose to a tapping from the engine side of the throttle butterfly. Maybe it has developed a leak or has come off altogether. If not, it could be that the diaphragm has gone AWOL. I expect that the transducer gets its feed from the wire that PhatVR6 mentioned.This happened to a Golf GTi I had a few years ago.

Best wishes

RB

PhatVR6, yeah she needs a clean under the H00D sigh... i will bling her up soon....

also thanks for all your comments guys i will hunt for a vacum leak 2 moz...

I think that connector is the spare for the air conditioning if you don't have it. Not sure about the relay box. The MFA should be thin vacuum pipe that connects to the back of the dash, not sure where it goes in the engine bay though.

That wire's for the extra oil pressure gauge sender, or the second connector on the two-pole sender. I've got it connected up on my 1.816v, it's just part of a standard loom, much the same as vw's without front fog lights often have the connector blocks and wiring for them, cheaper to make a standard loom.

David.