MattVR6

Gear Linkage Questions. Upgrade?

Hi all,

I have been quiet the last few weeks. Most of the niggles on my car are now sorted so I thought I would just drive the damn thing instead of keep posting every little problem.

So far I have changed the thermostat and housing related bits, need new sensors though I reckon, headlight switch has been replaced, this also caused an immobiliser issue but was traced to a frayed connection. All lights are working correctly, an incorrect bulb was draining all the power from one side.

ANYWAYS, back to the question at hand,

One of the gear shift cable ends has broken connecting the cable to the transmission. It needs replacing, but I reckon the other one will be soon following suit. I can also feel the whole system feeling worn and sloppy.

Rather than just replace the worn component, I would rather upgrade the whole system, hopefully improving the whole driving experience. Is there a VW swap from an uprated or modern vehicle or just a straight aftermarket replacement system? I am looking to change from the gear linkages under the gearstick right down to the transmission. Something from a modern Golf GTI? Maybe that would even include a short shifter also ;D

Whatever is recommended, I just want the whole system replaced regardless of cost for peace of mind and improved drivability. The old system needs work doing to it soon anyway, so I may as well make the most of this opportunity.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable christmas!

All the best, Matt

Don't think there is anything as far as the shift cables go, but you may be able to replace the bushes to tighten it up. The shift tower from a mk4 and the selector mechanism from a Polo have been used to good effect, so google that to find some of the old related threads. I've not done either so can't elaborate on which year cars they came from and can't remember sorry. All reports as far as I'm aware have been positive from those that have done it though.

Edit: You can use the mk 4 cables too.

Edited by seanl82

swapped all mine over , o2j tower and cables and gearstick off a cupra 20v , its well worth doing and improves it alot , also can get short shifts to go with it if thats your thing

Lovely thanks for the info chaps.

The short shifter isn't something i'm really after, just if the system I was upgrading to had it I wouldn't complain. Not going to seek one especially, I find the standard throw quite moderate.

Ok I will do some digging. Thanks again!

yeah well the options are there with the mk4 era cars , myself i fitted the oem audi tt short shifter part and honestly its still standard feeling , its not all race car , but you can have a play around and see what suits you