Red McGregor

Auto shifter backlight

Looking for some advice/guidance here. The backlight on my outbox is not working, the part (191 927 149)is discontinued and despite some lengthy searches I have been unable to locate one. The part is a combined holder/bulb unit. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a working bulb,an LED unit perhaps? Of has anyone got the right unit they would be willing to sell. All thoughts appreciated

Have a look on eBay for EL panel. You can get a 12v kit in any colour and size you wish, and just cut it to shape and splice or connect it into you existing loom. That should do the trick!

Sean: EL panel won't work as the light is attached to the shifter and moves with it.

You can get the part from an automatic Golf Mk3 - I swapped mine a couple of times with scrapyard units. Beware, they're designed for LHD cars so the bulb is soldered in a very fragile way to some adapter wires which plug in on the opposite side to the bulb location. Very easy to damage! The green lens over the bulb is also delicate and you will usually find at least one clip is broken.

I had one ages back which I attached a green LED to, but it's quite hard to dial in the brightness without getting it so dim it's only visible at night or so bright it bleeds into several of the 'compartments' under the legend.

Car's being broken now so if you want mine you're welcome to it. Don't remember if it works but you can at least have a spare set of parts! We auto guys have to stick together ;)

Stone