jekel

VR6 Genuine Oil Filter. Valve?

Got a VW supposed genuine VR6 oil filter online. There's no non return valve in it, far as I'm aware all VW VR6 ones should have, the MANN one just took out has, and looks really well made, I've just been to Europarts and bought another one.

I'm just about to complain to company but thought check my facts first. It's marked VW and Hengst etc., but sure previous VW ones sure had the valve. It's also plastic body and fitting, MANN is metal. Suspect a ropey copy.

Can you post a pic of the valve please?

I tried but it won't show up, it's right in the middle, the supposed VW one got (I've put it in as needed car on weekend but it's coming straight back out in an hour) nothing in centre can see straight through, MANN one (old one which slung and new one) can't see through, gauze on one end (like fuel filter gauze), and metal body of valve on other. Sure previous VW and Hengst ones (which are one in same)had. If you can seee daylight through centre there's no valve, if not there is basically.

Know the VR6 has non return valve in block too but sure genuine and good filters should also have.

Had Golf GTi years back that sounded like bag of hammers on first start uo because a mechanic at service used a cheap filter.

Mine is quiet as mouse at start up and otherwise now, but it is a brand new, well fully pro reconned and rebuilt engine, just doing firstt oil chhange at less than 1000 miles so don't want to take any risks with dodgy filters.

Just looked at that pic mate, straight away can see diff to the supposed VW one, that's like the MANN metal body, top etc. (aluminium think) and ya can see the metal drilled hole frame thing inside, holding the filter stuff in. My supposed VW one is plastic body and ends andd no metal retaining mesh inside. The ****ers coming straight out. Bet yours has got the valve inside.

Same box! Same markings and there the similarity ends.

I get one of those but these MANN's seem bang on, same quality as Hengst/VW.

Think I'll only lose bout half pint of oil changing filter, having had the housing off before on old engine, so at least not full oil change again, expensive new oil in it.

On bright side stole a mint NARDI steering wheel on Ebay for 20 quid, so swings and roundabouts, and I'll have a mint MOMO 320mm spare if anyone needs one when arrives.

i use and have always just bought MANN filters, they have the non-return valve, easy to get hold off (5 minute wait in euro car parts) and cheap

from memory the golf vr6 filters are plastic as you describe. what part number is it ?

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/servicing_guide.html

Bottom of page.

On that link and pic. the wrong one is exactly what got, and the right one looks exactly what the Mann is, so looks like probs genuine but simply got the wrong one, I'll have look at part number when comes out, was advertised as Golf to be fair but part number cross ref. as ABV Corrado. Think ya've answered that one mate, cheers

i use and have always just bought MANN filters, they have the non-return valve, easy to get hold off (5 minute wait in euro car parts) and cheap

Yep same