16vMatt

Valver Won't Idle

Before Christmas I went through a large puddle and my C starting running very rough and dying if no throttle was used I managed to nurse it home. Weeks later I have changed the plugs, cleaned HT Leads,dizzy cap and rotor arm. And its still not running right. Basically it'll fire up fine then it'll idle for a bit then when you touch the throttle it'll shoot up then drop back down and die if you don't keep the throttle on. Also if I keep the throttle open it won't stay at the revs instead it will go from 2k-3k then back 3k-2k even though I'm not changing the throttle. I've checked that all the plugs are sparking. Any ideas?

Something got wet?

I'll get my coat....

Haha I guessed that but its been sat in the dry for 3 weeks now and I've managed to sit there keeping it running enough to warm it up in an effort to dry it out. But what could it be that is wet still?

Have you checked if your airfilter is dry? What filter are yiu running?

Yes forgot to put that in my original post but yes it is dry I've currently just got the standard air filter.

Maybe check the 'lowest' sensors on the engine, knock sensor, temp senders?

I've cleaned the isv, checked the temp sender on the radiator to no effect. I have been told by a friend that he had similar problem on his motorbike and that was caused by a loose throttle body. I have now removed the throttle to give it a good clean. If this doesn't fix the problem what else could it possibly be? Thanks for the help so far

At one point my valver had an intermittent issue and was sometimes hunting revs at idle (usually when it warmed up). I kept cleaning the isv but to no avail and my mechanic checked for air leaks by spraying round with something (brake cleaner I think) but still couldn't find any. Finally found the problem when I lent on the 90 degree elbow that sits on top of the metering head and the hunting stopped. Thankfully had one in stock so swapped them over and problem fixed. I presume it wasn't seated right or had a crack in it (none visible).

If you removed the throttle body, you'll have noticed the sensor on it. It's the throttle potentiometer(throttle position switch), check the wiring for this as mine had 2 of the 3 wires broken but the plastic sheathing was still intact. Symptoms were very bad idle but occasionally it would be ok

Oh , and check the 2 very small pipes are in place, the ones that run from airbox to just before the throttle body (thereabouts anyway)

Edited by easypops

Car will run fine with it removed however I'm sure its needed so anyone know of a place to get the new sensor