Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Squeek squeek

When i start the G60 every morning, for about the first few seconds it sounds like a tractor. This goes pretty quick but i continue to get lots of belt squeeking. It gets quieter pretty quick and goes away completely within a mile or so. Are these possible to just tighten up as the charger belts were changed about 6 months ago? I guess VW would be best ( :? ) as they know how tight???? :?

check oil level isn't low. What pressure u getting.

i get squeak. seems to be worse when its damp. Check the tensioner wheels.

Yeah - definitely worse when damp. I guess they could be a bit loose and squeal when damp. Oil level is fine, no idea about pressure. Dont suppose anyone can explain how to check the tensioner wheels?? :oops: Am i likely to break anything, cos if its likely i will!! :lol:

think its a matter of replacing the tensioner wheels. they just pull off but the belt has to be off first.

if my oil is slightly low i get a tapping noise at startup before oil is around engine.

I had the same.

I sprayed the tensioner wheels (carefully :shock: ) with silicon lubricant from Halfords. You don't want to get any on the inside of the belt.

Sqeek totally disappeared :D

Hi there

Its more likely hydrolic tappets are worn, thats what causes the tractor sounds as the oil pressure builds up they fill the hydrolics and take up slack .Change your belts for new ,the more time they are on the harder they get and tend to squeek or yes lubricants do work to soften the rubber on the belts

Cheers James :D

Well, i got some anti belt slip spray from a motor factors shop. It said it would squel loads until it had evened out, which it did, but now i get the squeal as before all the time and much louder. Any suggestions what to do with the little bugger? Ive heard WD40 on the belts can help?????

Hello again

This works ..... while car is running drip a couple oil drops onto belt,yes engine oil :shock: ,I work for a garage and have always done this to stop belts squeeling it dosent slip ,the oil soaks into the belt and softens the rubber .

Trust me whats the worst that can happen :D

Trust me whats the worst that can happen

On a non-VR6, you get oil on the cam belt and knock the timing out, potentially damaging your engine?

Ah, good ol' VR6 cam-chains..

Hello all

Ive seen cam belts driping in oil from blowen cam ,crank seals and nothing happend.Snapping belts will happen due to poor adjustment and age ,the likley hood of the cam belt jumping a tooth(due to oil) is very,very low.

Which belt are we on about? :? i asume fan belt(charger belt) not cam?

Cheers James :)