Gordydee

Windscreen seal replacement advice please

Hi there, I've got a '91 1.8 16v and the passenger floor well is soaking with water. I've got a pretty got idea the water is getting in through the damaged windscreen top seal. I was just looking for some advice on the exact seal I require. I've had a look on the VW heritage site and they list a surround cover section and an upper trim moulding? Are these the parts I need? Any advice would be much appreciated. Here are some pics.

(img)IMG_0779_zpsycwddvse.jpg~original

(img)IMG_0780_zpsfnp84qf0.jpg~original

(img)IMG_0793_zpsoqddvoyx.jpg~original

pretty certain you can still buy that seal from vw, its got a lip on it that when you push it in it grips and stays down, that looks like a right mess though, whats with the sealant? was that there to hold down the seal? if so then im guessing your screen was replaced at some point and alignment isn't quite sitting right for that seal to fit tight, also the main thing is that seal is only there for looks , it doesn't actually seal out water, its there to fill the gap, your windscreen is bonded in place and that's what makes a water tight seal, if theres rust or the adhesive has failed then it could explain the leak, the other area to look at is under the bonnet in the scuttle tray your see the mesh box looking thing directly below the windscreen , its the inlet for the blower , water can leak through the seal, search foliage seal and it should come up...

I purchased a complete front indiscreet seal set from a guy called Rejel on eBay for £35. He doesn't always have them listed so best to send him a message.

Fraser