Sign in to follow this  
timatsorted

steering vibration... wheel balance or something worse?

Hi guys

Picked up my new VR6 a few days ago after having demo'd it without really putting my foot down. Have now had it fully serviced. Also had two new tyres fitted to the front. Drove it 'in anger' for the first time yesterday. Engine is sweet but I'm getting some vibration throught the steering wheel now. I didn't notice it during the demo but that may be because I wasn't going quick enough! Gets worse the quicker I go. I'm assuming the wheels weren't balance properly when they changed the tyres, although all weights appear to be on ok. What do you reckon: wheel balancing or something worse?

Cheers.

take it back to the place that balanced them & get them to cheack it.

If it's not that, it's a horrible game to play finding wobbles. Took me ages to cure mine. Strart with the cheaper options, like track rod ends if your going to start replacing bits.

Check the balance of the rear wheels too.

Did the condition of the old front tyres give any clues? - uneven wear caused by tracking out of adjustment, etc.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah absolute first thing - wheel balance and wheel bolts. Next, while they're balancing the wheels ask them to just make sure the wheels are running true and there's no dents in the rim or anything. Alloys bend remarkably easily!!

After that you want to be thinking about bearings or steering components.

I had this a few weeks ago on my '94 VR6.

Vibrated like mad going from 30-40mph & again downward from 40-30mph. Turned out to be the geometry. £35 later it was fixed & now drives like a new car.

Worth a try.

HTH

:idea: