John Blount

BBS alloys what spacer do I need

Could someone help me with spacer sizes for a set of 16" BBS alloys?

They are 6 1/2 J x 16h2 ET42 5 x 100

I need an appropriate sized spacer for the fronts as without one the alloys strikes the calaper.

What size wheel bolts will I need and where is the best place to source them??

Thanks for any help!!

Those wheels are almost identical spec. to the standard Speedlines. You could put 15 or 20mm spacers behind them with no problems, the wheels will then clear the calipers and fill the arches nicely. You have two choices in that you could use 'bolt through' or 'bolt on' spacers. As the name suggests, the 'bolt through' spacer sits on the hub and the wheel is secured by longer bolts which pass through the spacer and into the hub. The 'bolt on' spacer is different in that it is bolted to the hub with the supplied bolts and the wheel is then bolted to the spacer using the original wheel bolts. No matter which spacers you use, it is vitally important that they are hub centric as this will ensure that the wheel is securely centred on the hub ....... under no circumstances use non hub centric universal spacers.

The standard wheel bolts on a Corrado are M14 x 1.5 and are around 26mm long. If you go down the 'bolt through' route then I would suggest 45mm long M14 x 1.5 bolts.

If you do a search for VW, 5x100, 15 or 20mm, hub centric spacers on e-bay you will find lots of options. The same applies to the wheel bolts, do a search for 45mm M14 x 1.5 wheel bolts. Neither spacer option is particularly cheap but with the 'bolt on' option you will save on the price of longer bolts.

A third option is to use a 57.1mm VW, 5 x 100, 6 mm spacer which may give you the clearance you need. If it did, then simply place it on the hub and bolt your wheels on using the standard bolts. You could experiment by packing the wheel out from the hub using washers to find out how thick a spacer you actually need. Needless to say, do not drive it in this state. Again, e-bay is you friend for 6mm, 57.1mm VW 5 x 100 spacers.

Edited by leon263

interesting ive never used spacers when i got my BBS RS301 split rims!! they are 5x100 and are 17inch rims should i use spacers? im using the standard vw bolts too, should i get longer ones??

cheers

Langers

No need for spacers if you are happy with where the wheels are sitting and the standard bolts are fine. John has a problem with the wheels fouling the calipers, hence the need for a spacer.

Leon, thanks for the time to explain all this, wheels and spacers really aren't my strongest subject!!

Really useful advice, I've picked up some aluminium billet 15mm spacers and 43mm bolts locally and they fit great so thanks very much for the advice:thumbleft:

No need for spacers if you are happy with where the wheels are sitting and the standard bolts are fine. John has a problem with the wheels fouling the calipers, hence the need for a spacer.

cheers buddy thats what i thought but just wanted to double check ;) thanks