Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Gear Linkage Broken!

Having finally got a Corrado and having diriven it for about 1/2 the day and got home to show everyone i drive the car down the road and ... tried changing from 1st to 2nd.. didnt quite work.. tried third.. got a crucnh.. then the gear stick just became totally loose! I thought id broken the gear box in some horrific and freakish way! A Corrado owner for one day.. and back to a CorradoWannabe!

But thankfully AA came down n saw it was just the gear linkage cable - the plastic bit on the end has snapped off... anyone had this go on their C before? Any idea what i'll be paying for a replacement cable?

The worst thing is that i will be out the country from Monday to Friday - so the earliest i could possibly drive my corrado is at least a full 7 days :( :( :(

I have to say tho - the car is fantastic - the 1.8s my take a while to pick up - but above 4000 rpm they are fantastic! I am comparing the Corrado to my 1.6 golf tho - so i guess its not surprising im so in love with it :)

You guys noticed that when ur in ur Corrado everyone starts racing u even if ur just driving along sedately? Maybe its my imagination...

Oh forgot to say - mine is a 1991 1.8 16V Corrado,H-reg

Cracking engine mate.... no idea about linkage cable but shouldnt be a massive task to replace would have thought

Had the same problem not long after buying mine.

You need a new cable from VW or second hand, cost new is about 40 quid and comes with a different type end on it as vw knew this was a weakness in cable change boxes.

You need to remove heat shield and a small amount of interior trim oh and exhaust from cat back (thats a bitch with rusty bolts).

Then its fairly easy to do and changeover.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Mark :evil:

Thanks Mark - probably get a mechanic to sort it out when im out the country - thanks for the price estimate - not too bad at all - and im glad its replaced now if the original clutch cable is a weakness :)