ingyom007

Golf MK2 checklist

Hello guys!

This is my first thread/post on this forum. I am still on my way for a "dreamcar" Corrado but i have to take a first step before it and it will be a MK2 Golf. And i need some help guys what are the most common spots to rust on a MK2? It would be great if i would know which areas i should check the most and its always good to ask it from some experienced people. I could check it on some crap sites what google would list for me but i have my trust in you guys ;D

You're probably better off checking somewhere like Club GTI to be honest! The Corrado is a very different car to the MK2 Golf and 'common' rust spots and weaknesses are not the same!

Yeah i know its not the same but there are some MK2 owners here i think who could help but okay i will check on some other sites....

I've had a couple of mk2,s and they both suffered around the windscreen seal and front crossmember, also outer sills.

Thing is they are at least 25yrs old now so just check everywhere !

Or wait for a Corrdado :)

I think it fair to say they are a bit less prone to corrosion

I run a Mk2 alongside my Corrado and I'd second Club GTi's website as a good resource, but also have a look at the buying guide at www.matey-matey.com/golf_buying_guide.shtml. It's getting quite hard to find sound, near original Mk2s these days at any sort of affordable price and quite a few have been modified in a nasty way.

Stuff that's worth checking on the bodywork side of things includes the blank on the passenger side at the front where a LHD would have had a windscreen wiper - it collects water and rusts - another classic rot spot is around the petrol filler, mud and stuff collects on the inside and rots it outwards, you can get repair panels for the area, but it's worth avoiding if you can, check the rear hatch too and on the underside where people jack them in the wrong place, crack the underseal on the sills and they rot from there.

I think maybe the later ones are less rust prone based on my experiences with my old '88 which died eventually from corrosion and my current '90 which seems more resistant, touch wood.

Other stuff: the gear linkage can get very loose and imprecise, but it's relatively easy to rebuild with new bushes and to add a weighted shift rod, the hoses under the bonnet are getting old now unless they've been changed and can perish and leak plus basically implode under a vacuum blocking them and causing running issues, the headlights are rubbish unless you fit an uprated wiring loom taking power direct from the battery, the black plastics fade badly over time, but I've found Forever Black works brilliantly and durably, heater matrixes can blow, just like the Corrado and are a pain in the butt to replace, check for wet carpets... the other cause of those are leaks through the door membranes and/or air intake under the scuttle panel and/or blocked drain pipes from the sun-roof if there is one.

Great cars if you can find a good one. Less polished and more direct than a Corrado, easy to work on, good fuel economy compared to a Corrado, though not a modern equivalent. But as above, check everything as well as the known weak spots. Good luck finding one.