Storm Guy

Thermostat Housing Leak

Some help and guidance please folks.

Seem to have got a leak which won't go away.

Leak from the thermostat housing - difficult to say exactly from where but definitively housing. Not hoses.

For reference - new parts were

Part A - main part (with the three plugs and which joins the soide of the block) - (02121117A) - Meyle

Part B - Thermostat housing - Thermex - 021121121A

Part C - Water pump flange - Union to Crack pipe - 012121133D - Meyle

Crack Pipe - Topran

The facts.....

• Thermostat housing three parts changed for new parts (A, B, C) along with new seals.
  • Thermostat not changed.
  • Part C - Lower part Meyle
  • Part A, main body and thermostat housing, Part B - Meyle (Not Topran) - purchased from VWHeritage
  • Temp and car running fine
  • Pressure OK - ie hoses not rock hard

What was done.....

(I know there are thoughts either way on dry (VW preferred) or belt and braces with sealant)

Sealant jointed all parts - leaking after a day.

Needed a new crack pipe also - Topran

Dry jointed - seemed fine, but upon engine start, few mins later dripping from Part C connection to Part A.

Part C then sealant jointed (plus seal of course) to Part A.

All seemed good with engine running for few mins, then few mile run. Next morning kitchen tissue placed under hosuing as check was fully soaked! Small leak now also from junction between block and crack pipe! The joint was somewhat pitted (around the shoulder where the end of the crack pipe fits) etc and needed cleaning out.

Possible Causes....

Warped parts, bad aftermarket moulds, seals not fitting in recesses correctly.

The old Parts A B C were Topran.

Advice Please..........

What's better Topran / Thermex / Meyle if I have to change all parts again. Are there any other options. Billet would seem to a good option but recall only the crack pipe may be available (?)

Not sure what to do now - other than indi VW garage.

BTW - the this is the third time the complete thermo housing assembly has been changed. Once in Sept 2011 and then July 2014, and now less than two years later.

Any ideas or tips guys? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Number of good general how tos re the thermo housing guides researched but no joy, including;

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?32049-How-To-VR6-Thermostat-Housing-Replacment/page17&highlight=thermostat+housing+leak

Edited by Storm Guy
Not correct FACTS!

Hi mate. I have recently rebuilt my VR6 and had this exact problem with an aftermarket stat housing made by Topran. I must of stripped and refitted 3 times dry then used sealant but still leaked. So i bit the bullet and bought a whole new set from VW, all parts of the housing, new o rings and new bolts and fingers crossed all seems ok! Looking at the aftermarket parts it looks like the union from the crack pipe onto the main housing didn't fit flat, like it was warped or something. Get what you pay for I suppose!

I bought the Topran kit from eBay, it leaked...

Sent it back for a refund and put it towards genuine parts. All good now :)

I thought about one of these when I recently did mine but changed my mind as it is expensive

http://www.gruvenparts.com/cast-aluminum-12v-vr6-thermo-housing-assemblies/

I used a stainless crack pipe as I found the topran one a poor fit and it leaked at the block

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-12V-VR6-2-8-2-9-stainless-steel-crack-pipe-water-pipe-for-mk3-Golf-Corrado-/151927777807?

This fitted perfectly with a bit of lube and after cleaning out the block with a dremmel, I also cleaned the mating face on the heas with wet and dry before fitting the themostat housing (VW version)

Thanks - Apologies though - my facts were wrong! The new parts were actually Thermex and Meyle (and crack pipe Topran, from 2014) with the Meyle parts direct from VW Heritage - I do try and order any parts from them becuase of some of the 'other' aftermarket quality issues..

GSF for the Thermostat Housing part no. 179VG0500

Gruven parts looks good IO must admit - yes expensive but worth considering if necessary to resolve this.

Will also search for the ss version of the pipe.

RE genuine or real 'VW' parts - other than VW Heritage who suply Meyle - what are we actually talking about here. Are genuine VW thermo parts still out there?

Thanks

Gruven does look the dogs. As for the genuine bits, I ordered through my local Vw dealer, MON Motors Chippenham. It came to 115 all in for complete housing, o rings and bolts. Not leaking yet but only been running it up to temp in my workshop.

All the parts had a VW Audi stamp on them. I did get a bit of discount on them as I know the bloke in parts so it might work out similar sort of price as the Gruven bits?

Topran's dodgy but Meyle normally ok, I had a VW set lying around and was fine. I could'nt find the rubber seal for housing to block and lucky enough had a brake piston seal (from front from memory but also had ones for back so could have been back) and fitted perfect and gave much better seal, always thought the seal they give you there is too thin, if ya've got a brake piston seal lying around use it instead much better seal to block

Topran's dodgy but Meyle normally ok, I had a VW set lying around and was fine. I could'nt find the rubber seal for housing to block and lucky enough had a brake piston seal (from front from memory but also had ones for back so could have been back) and fitted perfect and gave much better seal, always thought the seal they give you there is too thin, if ya've got a brake piston seal lying around use it instead much better seal to block

Thanks and noted - also re the seal, will give iot a go.

All the parts had a VW Audi stamp on them. I did get a bit of discount on them as I know the bloke in parts so it might work out similar sort of price as the Gruven bits?

Well - I just checked and have no blooody clue why I used topran / thermex, or Meyle parts for that matter, now or in the past - when VW genuined are readily available - yes, albeit at a slightly extra cost. But would have been more than happoy to have paid for such a vital part.

I was under the mistaken impression that these were NLA. Vey strange as sometimes the first port of call is aftermarket. Nevertheless don't fully understand why VW Heritage are using and sending out non-genuine parts to customers when VW part exist.