Mike16v

16v (1993) 93k miles

After 5 years of ownership, I'm reluctantly selling my 1993 2.0 16v.

The MOT expires in June 2016 and it is currently SORN as I don't drive it in winter. It's covered 93,000 miles.

I've done lots of work to it in that time here is some of it:

New injectors, cam belt less than 5k miles ago, HT leads, distributer cap / rotor, battery, disks & pads all round, front wishbones / drop links, suspension top mounts all round.

Short shift gear linkage kit fitted.

Drivers seat bolster replaced.

Fitted with Sebring alloys which had been refurbished and are like new. 5th alloy also refurbed - never been used. 4 brand new Goodyear tyres covered less than 200 miles.

Engine is running a little rough when warm. I think this is due to a duff lambda sensor (genuine VW replacement is included). There is a vertical crack in the screen where the rear view mirror is.

Last serviced in the summer.

I have a spare front bumper which I am happy to chuck in if wanted.

Car is located near Dover, Kent.

Looking for £2250 ono

Any questions - ask away!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83345[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83347[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83348[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83349[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83351[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83352[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83356[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83358[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83359[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83360[/ATTACH]

Just and update on the description above...I've arranged to have a new windscreen fitted in 18th March.

Hi, that looks nice.

Usual questions if you don't mind answering:

Does the spoiler and sunroof all work as normal including the spoiler at speed?

Is the clutch, gearbox sound?

Does the ABS light come on at start up, then go out and remain off when driving?

Can you describe the 'rough running' you talk of? Is it hesitant performance or misfire or stalling or other, is the tick over normal?

Is the car drivable for a long distance with that engine roughness?

Any fluid losses?

Does it keep correct engine temperature? Does coolant fan come on as they should?

Though the bodywork looks v good in the pics, are there any rust or paint bubbles , anywhere?

Are there car park 'dings' or obvious repainted areas?

Hpi clear?

Can you post a photo of the engine?

Apologies for all the questions!

Thanks.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the questions. It will take me a while to reply to them all so I'll get back to you in the morning when I can see straight 😬

Sorry about the delay Marcus, had a couple of drinks last night...

The spoiler works on the switch and when driving. The sunroof was one of the first jobs I did when I bought the car as it wasn't working at all. I replaced the whole mechanism and it was tilting and sliding nicely. The sunroof seal was in a horrible condition though and I couldn't find a nice replacement at a sensible price. I used a new seal from a Golf (mark 2 I think) which fit but was a little too deep to allow the sunroof to slide.

No issues with the clutch gearbox. The gear selector had a ridiculously long throw when I got the car so I fitted one of the short shift kits available on here and the change is really nice now.

The ABS light comes on at start up and then goes out as it should. I did have to replace an ABS sensor (front passengers side I think).

Regarding the rough running - the car starts and runs fine. When its up to temperature, the idle drops a little and you get the feeling that it wants to stall (it doesn't) when you stop in traffic etc. I really think this is due to the lambda sensor so I bought a genuine replacement. I planned to change it but found that I couldn't get the car on to my ramps because of the low clearance of the front splitter and the job really needs a bit of room underneath. I used the car for driving to and from work in the Summer, but can't say that I've done any really long trips in it for three or four years. 30 minutes away is probably the furthest I've been.

There are no fluid leaks at all. I did have a small oil leak from the oil temperature sensor but I replaced that last year. The coolant was looking a bit gunky so I flushed the system out in the summer. I put a new expansion bottle on while I was there.

Engine temp stays between 80 - 100 when driving. Fan seems to kick in when required. Had a new coolant temp sensors last year (for the dash guage, ECU and rad fan).

Regarding the bodywork, I had the bonnet resprayed 2 years ago so no stone chips there. There is one car park ding on the passengers side. You may be able to see that in the photos. Rust wise, three arched are starting to bubble on the trailing edge, again the photos should show this.

There is no finance on the car.

Just let me know if you've got any more questions or want photos of specific parts - that's no problem.

I'll just pop outside to get some photos of the engine bay for you...[ATTACH=CONFIG]83417[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83419[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83420[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83421[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83422[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83423[/ATTACH]

As I've already mentioned somewhere above, I've got a screen replacement booked for 18th March (because of the crack).

Anyway - here are some engine bay photos for you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83424[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83428[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mike16v

Have you had the screen replaced today? Any rust found?

Just what I'm after, but Dover is a hell of a long way from Huddersfield :(

Have you had the screen replaced today? Any rust found?

Just what I'm after, but Dover is a hell of a long way from Huddersfield :(

No, it wasn't unfortunately. Autoglass rang to cancel in the morning saying the screen hadn't arrived. Rebooked for 7th April! That's the next available appointment apparently.