Bfstrachan

Wheel fittment...

Confession first! I bought a set of BBS Wheels off a guy in Edinburgh who said they came off his polo 6N2. Advertised them as 4x100... I took them and have had them powder coated, took them down to have tyres fitted and was told the fitment are wrong! Turns out they are Volvo fitment (4x114.3) :( So, do I start again or do I fit adapters - what's your thoughts?630d9be6c66cd9b280c843d2e1f00cd6.jpg

Are you able to get adapters in the fitment you need? If so you would probably be best of to go down that route now you have spent out on getting them powder coated. Do you know what the et for them is? As you don't want to push the wheels to far out.

The et on them are 44. Looks like the minimum adapter width is 20mm. Would that be ok? It's a 1.8 16v, but I have a 280mm front set up I am away to fit - will that work? Thanks!

As far as I'm aware the lower the et number the closer to the arches the wheels will go. I think et on original wheels is 35 (different for vr6) so if 44 you would probably need spacers anyway so if I'm right an et with 44 plus 20mm spacer would make an et of 24 which should be fine. Has the car been lowered or is it standard. Could someone confirm this is correct or have I got it totally wrong?

You may need some arch work doing but you wont know until you offer them up. Mine is on 17s and I've set it up to have a 2 1/2 finger gap to avoid rubbing but I'm guessing your set up is fixed. What I would do is jack the rear up on the rear beam and test fit with something behind the wheel to give the 20mm gap and as the car is jacked up by the rear beam the ride height should be close to how it will sit on the road. Also you will possibly need to check the centre bore size and factor that in when ordering the adapters.

You may need some arch work doing but you wont know until you offer them up. Mine is on 17s and I've set it up to have a 2 1/2 finger gap to avoid rubbing but I'm guessing your set up is fixed. What I would do is jack the rear up on the rear beam and test fit with something behind the wheel to give the 20mm gap and as the car is jacked up by the rear beam the ride height should be close to how it will sit on the road. Also you will possibly need to check the centre bore size and factor that in when ordering the adapters.

Will give this a try. I don't want to be going down arch work route. I have the wheels that are on the car, which are the correct fitment and might get them done. One of the wheels has a slight flat spot though, hence the new set. Appreciate your guidance notes!

Probably best to ebay them and start again but 16's shouldn't need arch work. Have you spoken to the seller as they were mis advertised?

Yes, spoken to him. He is adamant they came off his Polo which has same fitment as my Corrado, but he also says he had spacers on. He is yet to get back to me when I queried if the spacers were in fact adapters too! Being so far north it's tough to resolve this as I can't simply nip round to the guys house. Guess you have to be suspicious of anything nowadays and not wise to simply take a mans word as his bond :(

I always thought the polo bss's off a polo were split rims. They look mint so should be fairly easy to sell.

I've just had a quick look on e-bay and 4x100 to 4x114.3, 20mm adapters are available at £69.99 a pair. They are designed to fit Honda wheels to a VW and the center bore on a Honda wheel is 64.1mm Obviously you would need to know the center bore of the wheels you have bought. If it is 64.1mm you are laughing, if it is more than 64.1mm, you might be able to make the wheel fit the adapter with a spigot ring and if it's less than 64.1mm, you are snookered as it wont fit onto the adapter.

Outstanding my friend! Guessing this might be the way to go. Many thanks!!!

Measure the bosses on the rear disks the centre bores sit on, on VR6s it's approx 18mm before they taper, a 20mm spacer reducing to a smaller spigot leaves hardly any meat on the boss and the boss tends to shear off in use, some will go tight before the spacer butts up against the disk and shear when you put the bolts in.

I tried to get 20mm spacers made to reduce 57.1 to Subaru 56.1 and was warned off by the machine shop as the boss would have been too weak

Measure the bosses on the rear disks the centre bores sit on, on VR6s it's approx 18mm before they taper, a 20mm spacer reducing to a smaller spigot leaves hardly any meat on the boss and the boss tends to shear off in use, some will go tight before the spacer butts up against the disk and shear when you put the bolts in.

I tried to get 20mm spacers made to reduce 57.1 to Subaru 56.1 and was warned off by the machine shop as the boss would have been too weak

Hmmm, that stops me in my tracks! Thanks for the experience. Was just about to order all the above... Ok, back to planB and sell the freshly coated ones and stick with coating my ones that are on the car. Thanks for the warning pal!

Tbh it was all starting to add up a bit cost wise. Can you not get a replacement for the wheel that's damaged? What make are they?