Jim Bowen

Disconnecting battery when car not in use?

Since September i have only been using the car maybe once a week. When i put it back in garage i disconnect the battery to stop it going flat.

Should i leave it connected and look into a trickle charger?

Is there a downside to disconnecting the battery? I wondered if the ecu is getting reset each time i use car.

cteck chrger will allow battery to drop somewhat then continue to condition the battery while still attached. I have had mine a good while now and it's solid.

I actually have the ctek charger. Forget it can be used as a trickle charger.

Think there is part of me that worries about leaving something plugged in when I'm not there

The ECU is certainly getting reset and going into the default learning mode every time.

Whilst it's not optimal I was having to do the same with my VR for the last 14 months or so, whilst I wasn't using it as the battery would never have survived weeks at a time between being used. Didn't seem to cause it any harm from an electrical point of view. Unfortunately I don't have any choice as my car lives in an isolated garage block a couple miles from my home. I will have to look into a solar panel charger at some point though I guess.

I wouldn't be concerned about leaving the CTEK plugged in though - pretty much any expensive car collection will have all the cars permanently connected up using battery conditioners. CTEK is a very well reputed brand. You won't have any issues.

Would disconnecting battery stop alarm from working and therefore void insurance if anything happened?

Yeah in theory. Depends on your own circumstance / situation with your car though. Mine is in a locked garage, in a secured / gated alleyway. They'd have to be pretty desperate to get through that lot to steal a rusty 200,000 mile Corrado VR6 :)

I always disconnect mine when it's sitting for any longer than a week. If anything it eliminates the possibility of electrical fire.

So would it wipe a remap if left long enough, surely not i hope as iv been disconnecting mine for a while when im away or not faffing with it

Remaps aren't lost with removal of power.

Another vote for the ctek from me. Essential bit of kit..

Just bought a CTEK Battery Sense thing - this: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/CTX%20BATTERY%20SENSE - it's a bluetooth gizmo that you wire across the battery terminals and warns you if the battery voltage drops to an iffy level. You check the status with an app on your phone. I'm hoping it'll give sufficient warning to get a charger on it if voltage drops plus I'm going to stick a solar charger on it and see if that keeps things happy. Seems like a good idea in theory, will report back.

Mine always on the CTek charger throughout winter. Great price of kit, it even revitalised the polo natter when that was playing up.