Stone0311

Mocal sandwich plate

Got a Mocal sandwich plate to go on my G60, having a few issues and the company I ordered it from aren't much help.

Gone to fit it and the centre bolt is too long, now found out you can order these to suit; question is that the standard centre bolt is 18mm diameter but the hole in the sandwich plate is 24mm - is there a collar or alike to sort this?

Also the sandwich plate has an integral seal on one side - is this the top or bottom?

3363e76ccea7ddb4fff0ca603f687e67.jpga5b9e7e2863e86ba5b6f2b9122481cfa.jpg49ea204283f0fd5ed1e41127238e9915.jpg

I had a similar problem when I first fitted the sandwich plate I robbed off an old Volvo 740 turbo, in the end I found a fully threaded hollow pipe and used the Volvo's nut to secure the plate, never had any problems. The part with the rubber seal goes face up onto the filter housing whilst the smooth face is the oil filter end that's sealed by the oil filter's o-ring seal.

I don't remember what car I got the short filter hollow tube off, it was years ago but if you can wait till tomorrow I'll get you a few photos of my engine with the sandwich plate fitted and I'll shoot a photo of the tube, I might even have a spare one I got made up.

I forgot to ask, didn't the company provide you with the Mocal center bolt???

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Thanks veedubbed, some pics would be good. No centre bolt provided 👎.

Looks like I need a centre bolt like the one below to go from 18mm to 24 and back again?e4cca8c1790f38d688b3e22cc2865886.jpg

Yes, you def. need the bolt that should have been included, i see that it also has holes in it as my spare one

doesn't. That center bolt is essential as it's 18/24 where as the Volvo unit and the original Vw bolt are a constant diameter.

Have you got the outlet pipes threaded unions, like those on the photo? obviously, you going to have to match the threads of the cooler itself and its relative pipework. The threaded unions could be BSP, JIC, AN, metric..

Was the rubber oil seal already on the Mocal plate when you bought it? Is there a cut-out on the housing the seal sits in? I'm asking because if you fit the plate onto your g60's filter take-off with the smooth end butted up the cast word 'Mocal' would be upside down, might mean nowt but normally the manufacturers name would be visible, it would look bodged too..

Make sure that the Mocal threaded pipe your gonna get has the same thread as the Vw oil filter too..

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Think I've now located the bolt, it's on-route from demon tweaks. Haven't got any pipework etc yet as am not yet sure where exactly I'm going to squeeze the cooler in.

Any idea on the deal with push on fittings?

Had wondered why the 'mocal' logo would be upside down¿ it's gonna look a bit odd - seal sits in a groove on one side and isn't removable.

Demon Tweeks eh? try ebay first mate as that lot have high prices..

I used the push-on fittings yonks ago but i didn't like them one bit and 1 kept leaking too, with 6/7 Bar oil pressure that's the last thing you need.. Get the proper screw on fittings, 1/2" BSP would be fine.

I wouldn't chance the filter housing though, too much pressure involved, especially with a cold engine, fit the bugger upside down and have done, probably won't be able to see it once fitted anyway..

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers bud.

Was only £4 from DT so I wasn't too worried.

Probably be back here when the install is a bit further on 👍