fla

Double din install advice

Thinking of doing this - just want some advice on how to do this plus other considerations. I've got a spare console with the lower slot cut out. Still have the portion for the original head unit so was thinking of relocating the heater controls there.

Do you have any pics of the bits you cut out and any other dashboard mods? Install looks great by the way ;)

Sorry I didn't take many photos as I got so wrapped up in doing it I forgot to pause and document it all. If I recall I used an angle grinder on the back metal plate the supports the stereo and then re positioned it lower down with fiberglass. The centre console was just cut with a sharp knife to keep it clean and then to re position the heater controls I made some hook style brackets to hold it in place further down and then screwed it together. I'm not great at design and fabrication so it was very simple and easy to do!

The hardest part was the ashtray and lighter! I ended up having to relocate these as you can see but if you went the route of deleting these altogether you could just use the VDO guage plate which is potentially an even easier fix!

It was all done in a few evenings and had to be able to go back to normal as it is my daily driver!

I am really pleased with it, surprised at how good it looks and a lot of people look in awe that it must have been so hard to do!

Word of caution though- if you do go angle grinder route like I did put some old rags under where you are cutting- unlike me to help avoid fires!!!