deano46

Bonnet sound proofing

My under bonnet sound proofing is looking a little tired and is flaking all over the place. Should I remove it all together? Should I look to replace?

Where best to get a good or OEM replacement?

what's the best technique to remove the old stuff?

Cheers in advance!

Have a look in suppliers forum, sprinter53 offers a good oe look replacement. The original ones are no longer available. To remove yours, cover the engine bay with an old blanket, and using an old bingo card or similar, scrape it all off. You'll be left with the glue, which will take literally hours to remove. Many have tried different types of product, I used petrol which worked as well as anything. Obviously be careful with the amount you use if you do.

It's entirely up to you. It doesn't offer a huge amount of sound deadening which is its intended purpose, but obviously looks pretty unsightly, and worst case if an oil soaked large bit drops onto the downpipe, has the potential to cause a fire.

Forget petrol, white spirit etc etc etc they're all rubbish. Go down to your local bodyshop/car paint/panel supplier and just ask for some adhesive remover or sometimes it might be the same as their tar remover. It's proper stuff unlike what you buy overpriced at halfords. They'll probably just give it to you in a tin. I got half a litre, it cost £3 and still have some left. Just keep soaking it in with a rag and I was finished in about 1.5hrs with the new ones on.

You can also get panel wipe, preferably a solvent based one as water based won't touch the glue but ask them for advice.