MZpog

Wing removal and refitting - whats involved? Also what glue to fix side bump strips?

I've just bought a couple of wings in very good condition and will be fitting them onto my car as the originals have a bit of lacquer peel.

Depending on what's involved, I may have someone fit the wings for me - anyone got a link to step by step instructions?

In addition to the many bolts holding them on, there also seems to be some sealant - what is this stuff? Is it needed.

Also the wings I've bought have had the side bump strips removed. Can these be easily removed from my original wings and glued to the new wing? If so what glue is needed?

Stuart.

Front bumper off(support engine), headlights off, going from memory here, all visible bolts along top of wing, 2 at top of slam panel, couple at front where bumper/headlight covered, then onto the tricky ones, one in wheel arch, likely covered in underseal, you'll see the holes on the new ones, last bolt is underneath where it joins the sill. It'll be stuck on with a blob of sealent/glue stuff where it is closest to the door/windscreen area, heat it gently with a heat gun/hair drier and it'll soften it up.

I've probably got the bolt bit wrong but if you use the new wings to locate the bolts you won't go wrong.

If your wings are late spec and rust free and come off in good shape, I'd be interested in them :)

Edit: yes the bump strips will come off easily enough, try to do it without bending them though, tiger seal for re attachment

Front bumper off(support engine), headlights off, going from memory here, all visible bolts along top of wing, 2 at top of slam panel, couple at front where bumper/headlight covered, then onto the tricky ones, one in wheel arch, likely covered in underseal, you'll see the holes on the new ones, last bolt is underneath where it joins the sill. It'll be stuck on with a blob of sealent/glue stuff where it is closest to the door/windscreen area, heat it gently with a heat gun/hair drier and it'll soften it up.

I've probably got the bolt bit wrong but if you use the new wings to locate the bolts you won't go wrong.

If your wings are late spec and rust free and come off in good shape, I'd be interested in them :)

Edit: yes the bump strips will come off easily enough, try to do it without bending them though, tiger seal for re attachment

Thanks for that. I may let my mechanic loose with the refitting as don't want to damage anything.

As for the condition of original wings, I'll have a better idea once removed but at visually the ns has a bit of bubbling at the top and the os has lacquer peel. Both ideally need painting which is why I snapped up the colour matched wings.

Someone already has 1st refusal on them, but you can be put on the list if they don't want them.

The underseal in the arches can be a right pain in the backside to remove the wing once all fixings are out! Stanley at the ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk