Guest sam1990rhodes

Boot Lid rust issues

Guest sam1990rhodes

Hi All,

Discovered some rust on the boot lid underneath the numberplate lights.

Was thinking instead of replacing the bootlid/fixing the rust to replace the lights with the US style middle brake light:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/corrado/535945131/rear-brake-light-for-corrado/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1

does anyone know if this is easy to fit (wiring isnt a problem) or is the boot lid a differnt shape for EU models?

I believe the US bootlid is a different shape, with a cutout to accomodate the central brake light unfortunately :(

Guest sam1990rhodes

Thanks, thought it went in place of the numberplate lights. Have to go back to the drawing board. Anyone got any advice on how to sort the rust on the boot?

Exactly the same happened to mine, POR 15 treat the metal then coat it in Wax Oil but if you use Wax Oil out of a spray can make sure you put the can in some warm water for 10 minutes or it will block the spray head.

Anyone got any advice on how to sort the rust on the boot?

mechanically remove all rust with a dremel or similar tool using grinding/cutting wheel, then apply an epoxy primer {either brushed on or sprayed} then to a bodyshop to finish off, if the rust is leaving the metal to thin with small pits or discoloured which grinding cant remove then it needs cutting out and new metal welded in, don't f-about with rust , no amount of rust convertor or rust paint etc actually does anything for the long term unless its all been ground out or cut out! belive me , been there done that, wasted my time and money in doing it again!...

something like this is fine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAYMAX-2K-EPOXY-PRIMER-FILLER-BLACK-400ML-AEROSOL-SPRAY-2680034-/252349622711?hash=item3ac135a9b7:g:zFYAAOSwq19XCO5x

Edited by VW_OwneR_85