FrankyEight

Question...

Hi Guys,

When i turn my car on, before actually starting it, I get two lights on my dash. The first is the handbrake and the second is the battery/alternator icon.

My car starts all the time, every time. Except, once driving around; if I pull in somewhere and turn the engine off and immediately start it again, it starts and immediately cuts out/stalls. Try a few seconds later and the same thing, starts and then cuts out/stalls. It's only when I leave it for a while and try again when it starts up as normal and away I go.

Could anyone help as to what the culprit might be? Is it a dead-cert that with the alternator on this is what needs replacing? I've replaced the battery today for a brand new one and although my windows seem to wind faster and headlights brighter (or is is placebo?!) my cutting out/stalling issue persists.

The car is also fitted with a Clifford Concept 300 which I find is a bit of a love/hate thing (i.e. I have to start the car after unlocking in under 30 seconds of it won't let me start). I was also wondering whether this issue could be part of the alarm system type thing? Like, If I got car-jacked the assailant wouldn't be able to drive off etc...

Anyway, I'm clearly not the most knowledgable here so any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

Ok, its now doing it a little more often, problem clearly getting worse.

The car took three goes before eventually starting, this morning. It turns, starts, cuts out... Hmmm

Battery light comes on to show the bulb is working (someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

I would suggest it's a hot start problem which can have many causes... It's the current rabbit hole I'm down.

If you can get vagcom/vcds then scan the car, check the fault codes.

Things I would suggest is to make sure the blue coolant temperature sensor and the idle stabiliser valve is functioning correctly.

Need more info on the car really, all my information is based on it being a vr6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think VAGCOM will give you much useful information on a 2.0 16v, p0llwrath :(

Don't think VAGCOM will give you much useful information on a 2.0 16v, p0llwrath :(

Yeh, was on the app and forgot to check his sig for any info

An update for anyone who's interested:

Garage has suggested replacing the distributor cap and rotor as well as the fuel filter (which incidently I don't think has ever been changed). I've given the go-ahead so hopefully the problem stops here...

I'd be surprised given the nature of the problem, but they're cheap enough parts to replace so worth a go.

If it's starting for a second then cutting out, that's a sure sign of the immobiliser cutting in. Assuming it has an immobiliser..........

If so, remove the control module and check the contacts. Give them a small squirt with wd40 and see how it goes from there.

On unlocking the car, if I try to start it after 30 seconds it won't, turning the key won't do anything — isn't this the immobiliser at work? Surely the immobiliser won't let me start the car Only for it to cut out a second later. 🤔

That after 30 seconds is a function of an aftermarket alarm. The problem with cutting out a second after starring is common on the factory fitted immobiliser. Two separate things by the sound of it, but not starting after 30 seconds of being unlocked is correct and what is supposed to happen on some clifford alarms, and probably others too.

Picked the car up and all appears fine, starting up first time instantly and running smooth. Very pleased! But not counting my chickens just yet...

If it's starting for a second then cutting out, that's a sure sign of the immobiliser cutting in. Assuming it has an immobiliser..........

If so, remove the control module and check the contacts. Give them a small squirt with wd40 and see how it goes from there.

Great! Don't suppose you know where I might find the control module?

Thanks.

I found what I think is the immobiliser control module in the dash (black box beside the spoiler switch control). It had two 'connectors' plugged in underneath it, I disconnected these (they looked fine, not corroded or anything) and soaked them, as well as the 'ports' they go in, in WD40 and reconnected. Doesn't seem to have made a difference! This is a very intermittent problem as most of the time the car starts fine, and never cuts out while driving anyway. Just the odd occasion, often when I lock and then unlock the car from inside before starting, when it starts and then after a second cuts out. At the weekend I drove it 60 miles down to Portsmouth with no problems, left in in the car park for 3 hours and on returning it took 4 times for the car to start properly, the first 3 times its starts and then cuts out. A little scary!

What else could it be? Some sort of temperature sensor maybe? ECU something or rather? I'm not knowledgable in this area and am starting to lose hope...

Would it be more sensible to give it to my local garage and hope that they can fix it?

Edited by FrankyEight